Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok guys, I need a little help. I'm not sure that I've used CSS positioning correctly, and, as is nearly always the case- things aren't looking the same in all browsers.

I just want to get this little bug sorted before I move on to others. In Safari, the site looks how I expect it to. In Firefox, it did look how I expected it to, but today after going back to it from a week off, I've noticed the main navigation has moved and isn't where it should be. See attached screenshots.

In IE6 on the PC (only PC i have access to), the menu sits about halfway down the header div, instead of along the bottom where I would like it to be. I have attached my CSS (which is messy, sorry), but to tell you the truth I am not sure that I have gone about the positioning in the correct manner. I just don't know enough about it to know what is the correct manner.

The current URL is http://www.ryder.net.au/news

It is most definitely incomplete and needs a spit and polish.

I hope people are not sick of CSS questions and someone can give me guidance. I will be very thankful! :classic: :surprised:

*edit* css attachment doesn't seem to work so here is the link.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - gah!

Member #
    I'm not 100% on this, but the thing that looks strange to me is the positioning on #navcontainer.

Why make it [minicode]bottom: -245[/minicode]? Did you try [minicode]top:245[/minicode]?

I've attached an IE6 on PC screenshot from this PC. Fine in FF.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    I'm not 100% on this, but the thing that looks strange to me is the positioning on #navcontainer.

Why make it [minicode]bottom: -245[/minicode]? Did you try [minicode]top:245[/minicode]?

I've attached an IE6 on PC screenshot from this PC. Fine in FF.

Haha, see- i have no clue why i had done it like that. The #mail div had the same sort of thing, so I have changed them both to [minicode]top: [/minicode] instead of [minicode]bottom: [/minicode]. Although I can't check if that has fixed the positioning in IE.

There is a slight descrepancy between Safari and Firefox now- in Firefox the horizontal navigation seems to sit where it should, but in Safari it's about 1cm higher. Oh well, one step at a time...
    - gah!

Member #
    Okay, apparently that's not it. It looks the same as yesterday. If I have some time later I'll download the files and mess with them.
    Shani

Member #
    Okay, the [minicode]ul[/minicode] is not responding to the position set on [minicode]#navcontainer[/minicode]. To remedy this, I used padding.

Line 54: [minicode]padding: 225px 0 0 0;[/minicode]. It's working on IE6 and FF2 on PC.
    Shani

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    Okay, the [minicode]ul[/minicode] is not responding to the position set on [minicode]#navcontainer[/minicode]. To remedy this, I used padding.

Line 54: [minicode]padding: 225px 0 0 0;[/minicode]. It's working on IE6 and FF2 on PC.

Thanks for the tip! And thank you so much for actually taking the time to help me, I really do appreciate it.

I've done that and I'm at work now so I can check, it looks ok except now the menu sitting a little low (in attached pic- should be where the green line is, not the red line). But honestly if that's my biggest issue then I don't mind because it doesn't look that bad and doesn't break the site.

Hmm but I have just noticed another thing, on all pages except the home page and photos page in IE, the header image seems to be getting shifted a few pixels to the left. Annoying!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - gah!

Member #
    Glad I could help.

As long as sits at the same spot on each browser, it's just a matter of changing the number (maybe it should be 200px instead of 225px).

The header image shifting... could that have anything to do with a scrollbar. It might sound silly but I drove myself nuts because of that one time!

Not sure how much experience you have to CSS, but here's the best tip I've ever gotten for creating cross-browser layouts: Add a border. It's a diagnostic tool. For example, when I put a border on the [minicode]#navcontainer[/minicode] and the [minicode]ul[/minicode], I saw that in IE they were completely disjointed, so no matter what I did to move the [minicode]#navcontainer[/minicode], the [minicode]ul[/minicode] did not move.

Tricks like using padding for positioning come with time, but in the meantime, add as many diagnostic tricks as you can!
    Shani

Remove Ads