Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Alright WDF,

I have landed a pretty good position as a web developer in the UK and I am keen to make my mark.

So I would like to turn up next Monday with a huge bos of tools (not literally, they will all be carried on portable media).

So I would like your suggestions as to what web dev software I should bring with, the categories I am thinking of are graphic manipulation, page editors, web page analysis, link checkers and so on.

Also if there is a thread on WDF that answers my question then a point in the general direction is appreciated too.

Cheers

Member #
    what company man, i may know it. if you don't mind telling

nbot sure what you mean, could you give an ex for each?

i would check my del.icio.us link at the bottom. lots of good tools and resources, not very well bookmarked but they are there.

Member #
    congrats btw

Member #
    Probably do not know them, an agricultural company up near Inverness!

Erm wellI know the heavies (Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc) just wondering if any developers here use any tools day to day that could benefit me.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    "Firebug",
    Firefox validation html/xhtml plug in. "HTML tidy".
    "Firefox developer's tools" - stuff like magnifying glass, ruler, div info, image info, form details etc. etc.

"Notepad ++."

One of those colour picker tools for getting the hex number of pixels - I think there's an add on for Firefox for that too, but there are various different ones.

I tried the "multiple IE" program I found but not too sure whether that's stable or not.....allows you to have different versions of IE on the same comp. Seemed a bit dodgy though for some reason.

Talking of which - there's yet another Firefox add on that allows you to simulate IE in firefox which is good too (can't remember name).

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Mind you - if you're going to be a web "developer" as opposed to designer - then the graphics orientated ones will probably not be of as much use to you, but the html tidy ones are invaluable.

Member #
    I have found iMacros to be a great tool for testing. We use the Scripting Edition (which the company paid $500 US) that allows you to run a bunch of macros consecutively on a schedule, or batch them.

The Firefox Extension is free though and IMO the interface is better. There's tons of info on their forum.

It's made by iOpus.

Other tools... jQuery (javascript library), Eclipse (I like it for PHP coding), Subversion...
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There's also Selenium for automated testing; I haven't looked into it much, though.

Member #
    PSPad is my favorite Windows text editor an features built-in FTP among a billion other web dev features. (Free!)

On Mac, I love Coda to pieces and compliment it with Textmate. (Both are sub-$100 but not free.)
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Remove Ads