Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6...tfolio2jg9.jpg

also in the affiliates box i want to make it scroll to the left and stop on hover.

Any help will be appreciated.

Also any sites for that kind of stuff would help too.

Thanks

Member #
    also on the first thing, i know it can be done with iframes, but can it be done so the background shows through and doesnt move but scrolls....and how do you customize the scroll bar?

I know its alot but i want this to look really good.

Member #
    IMO the best way to make something appear on a click is to use a hidden div. A little unobtrusive javascript and viola! Onclick {display:block} You may also be able to use the :hover pseudoclass and avoid using any javascript, but then when you hover off, it's gone.

And you mention in your post making something scroll... do you mean scrollbar or do you mean having something scroll automatically? Either way, why do you want to do this? What content will be there? Answering these questions will help you figure out the best tool for the job.

Do you want an image collage? (use Flash)
    Do you want a marquee? (use HTML)
    Something else?
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    For the content in the second box on the right im going to have a thumbnail and and some info about each thing. Thinking about that now i dont't need that to scroll.

And the affiliates box i want it to marquee to the left constantly but stop when the mouse rolls over one of the images...im probably going to use 88 px X 31 px buttons. And would like to be able to have the opacity change when rolled over. Like go from it being faint but still able to read to 100%

Hope this helps.

Member #
    Okay, the first thing that comes to my mind is jQuery. It's a javascript library. I'm sure there's a plugin somewhere that does exactly what you're looking for. If it's not part of your repertoire , it's pretty easy to learn + implement.

Wouldn't suggest using [minicode]<marquee>[/minicode] since you have images. Plus, very few people actually use that tag!

Other option is Flash, which has a steeper learning curve than jQuery and some SEO things to contemplate.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    If you decide to do it in jQuery, you don't need a plugin. Use something like this:

HTML Code:
    <div id="box">

<a href="interface.php">interface</a>
    <a href="sig.php">signatures</a>
    <a href="walls.php">wallpapers</a>
    <a href="misc.php">more...</a>

<div id="boxcontent">
    </div>

</div>
    Should be quite straightforward, right?
    And the JS:
    Code:
    $(document).ready(function(){

// Get each link and set what each do
    $("#box a").click(function(){
       var loadlink = this.attr("href"); // Get the href attribute to load 
       $("#boxcontent").hide("slow"); // hide the box for now with a nice slow hide

// Tell the content to load something from the loadlink, with no data (the empty []), and to do that last function when its done.
       $("#boxcontent").load(loadlink, [], function(){
          $("#boxcontent").show("slow"); // show the box again
       });
    })

// A quick bit of code to load the first link
    $("#box a:first").click(); // "click" the first link in the box

// In the spirit of separating style and content -  since you want those little periods in front of the links, and since they're uppercase, just do it here.
    $("#box a").prepend(".").css("text-transform","capitalize");

})
    There. It shouldn't be too hard to understand. The $() functions accept something like a CSS selector, and the rest is quite simple. ome can still be shortened, but not so its easier to read and comment. Best of all, it degrades well - the JS decays into usual links (that take you to the same data) if JS is turned off.

It's fun to write jQuery code!
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads