Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,I'm new to this great forum.Although I have a basic HTML knowledge I don't know how to create a table with different column sizes per each row.I tried the trick of creating different tables as rows but it just doen't work efficiently.Has anybody a clue about that?Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hmm, can you give an example of what you're trying to do? It seems like maybe tables isn't the right solution. It sounds like you want different table cells in the same column to be different widths which isn't really possible.
    But, I guess you could use colspan or something.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, this is the kind of thing you'd be wanting CSS for.

Member #
    Well,I think that's far better to describe the table. First row must have 2 cells, with different width.Second row has only one cell that occupies the whole row.Third row has 3 cells with different width, so there is no match to the width of first row cells too.I don't really know if I can create this table using pure html or I must use CSS.If the case is the latter, could you tell me how to use CSS for this purpose?Thanks a lot.

Member #
    I'd go for CSS, if possible. With CSS, you can just do something like this:

HTML Code:
    <div id="row1">
      <div id="box1"></div>
      <div id="box2"></div>
    </div>
    <div id="row2">

</div>
    <div id="row3">
      <div id="box3"></div>
      <div id="box4"></div>
      <div id="box5"></div>
    </div>
    This is quite a logical and simple structure, see? Now, here's what you need to do for the CSS. First, we need to make sure each row has a set width, say 500px width. It's possible to get fluid widths here too, if you want. At this point I usually also set the clear:both rule, to make sure each row clears the row above it (won't appear to its side). It's not always necessary, though.

Code:
    #row1, #row2, #row3{
      width: 500px;
      clear: both;
    }
    Next we can simple give each box a width. The key here is to make sure they appear on the same "line" as the one before it is to use floats. Basically if you float something, it'll be pushed as far left or right (depending on the float direction) as it will fit.

Code:
    #box1{
      float: left;
      width: 200px;
    }

#box2{
      float: left;
      width: 300px;
    }
    These two boxes should now snugly fit in the first row. Simple, see? Be careful when putting in paddings and margins, as they might throw it off. If you get frustrated doing that, just give another inner div for you to style. I don't think the third row should be a problem for you now.

Good luck!
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks a lot Steax.Your idea was fine.With little modification and the addition of black borders in boxes and a central box, all worked fine.Thanks again.

Member #
    You're welcome. Glad it worked out as expected (that doesn't always happen, lol). Remember to double-check on all browsers.

And you might also be interested in Blueprintcss if you need this often.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads