Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    After getting some good advice in the How's My Site forum, I created a header and used image replacement to put it into this site.

It displays more or less properly across browsers except for WIN IE 5.5 and 5.01 and an older version of WIN Safari. You can see screenshots here. (It's displaying okay in 6 now.) I don't know how reliable the screenshots are. Even though I've requested new ones, some of them show the old header.

Anyway, should I try to fix it so it displays correctly in these older browsers?

I've attached what I think is the relevant HTML and CSS.

Lisa

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Beiji
    should I try to fix it so it displays correctly in these older browsers?
    Entirely up to you. Who is your audience? Do they use these older browsers?

I follow the 80-20 rule... (accommodate 80%, and forget about 20%) so if 20%, but that's just me.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Thanks for your response, Shani. My guess is that potters, in general, aren't big on keeping their browsers up to date. So, tomorrow I will probably replace the CSS header with HTML links to the image.

Member #
    Changed my mind. I've decided to create a different style sheet for older browsers. Since I'm teaching myself CSS I may as well try it now. I can do a handheld style too.

Member #
    Excellent opportunity to challenge yourself, I like it.

And in case you ever decide to go 80/20... Have you set your site up on Google Analytics or some other stats program? Analytics will tell you what browsers/versions/plugins your visitors use. It may surprise you :-)
    Shani

Member #
    Thanks again, Shani. I have a couple different ways of viewing stats - through the site host and through statcounter. But I had forgotten to check them until you mentioned it!

Member #
    I'm having trouble getting older versions of IE to load the alternate style sheet. I have a loaner PC with IE 6 that I'm using to check the display.

This is what I wrote:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="mainstyle.css" media="screen" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="mobilestyle.css" media="handheld" />

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="oldstyle.css" />
    <![endif]-->
    </head>

However, I'm not having trouble displaying the following:

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
    <h2>Dear Viewer:</h2>
    <h4>You will not be able to view this site properly using your current browser. Please update your browser to <a class="text" href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/">Internet Explorer 7</a>,
    <a class="text" href="http://www.mozilla.com/">Firefox</a>, or <a class="text" href="http://www.opera.com/">Opera</a>.</h4>
    </div>
    <![endif]-->

It doesn't seem to work with the handheld stylesheet either.
    So the problem must be linking the stylesheet?

Member #
    I don't think I can help on this one. I've only ever used "if" statements using server-side languages.
    Shani

Member #
    That's okay, Shani. I hope someone else will be able to help.

I'm feeling pretty frustrated because at one point the site was actually displaying properly in IE 6, but now, with my endless tweaking, it's not.

Aargh!

Member #
    I've got it displaying okay in IE 6 again. It's not great, but it's not as horrible as it was. I still can't get it to link to the IE stylesheet though.

Maybe I should just leave it for a while and get to work on the next website.

At least people with IE 6 and lower will see the message to update their browsers.

Remove Ads