Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi guys,

I'm just trying to help someone figure out some problems with their website and I'm totally stuck. If anyone could have a look I'd be super-appreciative!!??

I know it's really badly designed and that's probably half the cause of the problems but I didn't design it so don't blame me!!

http://bass-reflex.net/calmingwords/

There's two problems I'm trying to figure out:

1. Straight away you'll notice that the text should start at the top of the page... Any help on getting it back up there would be great?! So far I'm at a complete loss!

2. If you scroll about a quarter of the way down the page, past the blue "testimonial" boxes, you'll notice that the font get's bigger. No matter what I do, I can't get it to change. It even looks fine in the Dreamweaver preview (not that I rely on that).

I want to keep it consistent with the text up the top but again, I can't figure out what's going on with it. Can anyone help with that too?

Thanks soooo much!!!

Neil

Member #
    Talk about bad code in a page that could be so simple without tables... That, and the dreamweaver code makes it huge. I don't understand the first... But for the second, you'll find a <font size="3"> tag. I don't know what that does, never been using the font tag at all, but there's also a CSS rule for td and th that sets font-size at 1.5em. I think thats it.

I say do make a CSS remake of that page and remove all your troubles...
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks heaps for your help! I think I've got it sorted now...

Cheers
    Neil

Member #
    I take that back... The above problems are fixed but now I'm having more troubles (I've updated the link above).

1. There's a white space at the very top of the page that has appeared and I can't seem to get rid of it.

2. There's also a whole heap of empty white space at the bottom that I can't seem to get rid of!

Can anyone help with these?

Thanks
    Neil

Member #
    I say redo the site. You'll never really fix these problems with the table layouts... Quadruple nested tables are not pretty.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Tell me about it!

Redoing the site still seems like a scarier task to me than nutting this out though... If I can sort these last two issues out, then I can just hand it back over and be done with it!

Member #
    Wow! What a mess. I need "calming words" just to get through it. I vote that you redo it.

Member #
    Thanks for trying Beiji!

Member #
    hackdesigner, you're very brave just to offer to help her!

Member #
    Hehehe thanks Beiji... I actually nutted it out (very late) lastnight! It was a combination of some very peculiar bits of code that I just deleted/previewed randomly (a bit of trial and error always helps). My eyes are hanging out of my head right now and I have to work for the next 8 hours!

Cheers guys!

Neil

Remove Ads