Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: CSS hassle

Banned
    Member #
    In the past I tried to compile style sheets myself, but found it to be more difficult than what I expected. I have extended programming experience in many languages.

If you are about to design a website using divs be advised to not try do reinvent the wheel , but rather to use one of the layouts in the link below.
    40 Website Layouts .

It would save you some time. Work on top of the layout and change it as you desire.

I know there are other websites like this, so please post with the links. Note that the link above have most of the layouts that you will need.

Member #
    While I agree that why start from scratch if someone else has done something similar is a good premise, knowing your code is important too.

Lets say if someone edits a design that is not theirs (theres as in built by them from scratch). The change they make inadvertently kills the design, what then?

Member #
    Isn't that why we make backups of the website before making any major changes to it? Also, there are such things as version control systems, such as svn, cvs, bzr and so on. An error that is not recoverable should not happen in this case.

On a side note, not to flame or anything: it's "theirs" not "theres".
    Hyperair

Banned
    Member #
    I agree, I use subversion combined with Ruby on Rails and the Webistrano application to deploy and manage all my projects.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Some other interesting alternatives are git and mercurial. Both of these are distributed revision control systems, and both seem to be quite strong in the general area of branching and merging (git in particular seems to be excellent at this). Anyway, that's kind of off-topic :-P

Member #
    Ah. I just use SVN for maintaining code. I don't use RoR, but I do touch on (F)CGI/Ruby. and (F)CGI/Perl. I'm planning to take up PHP and Python soon.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see Shadowfiend's post. I've seen Bazaar code branching done before as well actually, for example the awn-curves project in Launchpad.net. Also, I agree that we're veering off topic.

Back on topic: While I agree that using some default layouts can certainly save time, I'd mostly go looking around for inspiration, then mix and match a few styles to make my own. Thanks for the site anyway, ragunalth. I'll bookmark it.
    Hyperair

Banned
    Member #
    I have actually designed a 3column website using a template but changed so much on the style sheet side that I acctually made it my own.

If you use Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 you will find that you can select from a few layout templates, and they are a good base to work from.

If you would like take a look at it feel free. Site link!

Member #
    Eh? I see an underlined text "Site link!", but that's about it really. Where's the link?
    Hyperair

Banned
    Member #

Remove Ads