Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    been reading a bit about xml... and see its used quite often w/ flash , was curious when is it most beneficial .. to use it

w/ html or flash

maybe on large lists of items?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Useful ways to use XML:

For SOAP Communications - XML-based transmission of data between servers

For Web Services/SOAP or XML-RPC function calling - allowing one server to call functions remotely from another, transmitting parameters in an XML package and retrieving results in another result package.

For server function-calls from Flash (a la Web Services or XML-RPC) - the Flash XML component prepares a package, sends it to the server, and retrieves the results. This allows you to create Flash apps with database integration.

For AJAX function-calls from Javascript (a la Web Services or XML-RPC)

For XSL-T templating - allowing you to create a single business-layer processor that exports an XML file, then transform that file into multiple formats (HTML, PDF, DOC, CSV, JPG, whatever), using XSL-T and the appropriate presentation-layer processor to generate the final product.

For Rapid App Development - such as with RoR, you create an XML schema doc for your database / app, and a processing engine auto-generates your database and DAL for you.

And more...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Er... Rails doesn't use XML anywhere. The little configuration that happens in a markup language is in YAML. Database migrations are in Ruby.

Regardless, another use (which is related to two that transio mentioned collaborating together) is long-running server `push' connections, where a client uses a Flash object via Javascript to connect to the server, and then maintains that connection open and receives data from the server, which is then passed on to the Javascript and handled appropriately.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Wow... I always assumed (without looking) that YAML was an XML derivative... it would make sense, after all, since XML is a standardized markup format with hundreds of tools built around it... just add one to the things I hate about RoR.

Nevertheless, there are many Rapid Dev tools that DO use XML as a basis... for Java, PHP, and .NET.

Edit: PS - wouldn't the server "push" be better handled via sockets?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Actually, there are both implementations. I confused the two -- Typically the long-lived connection implementation is done in pure JS, I believe, with socket-based ones using Flash as an intermediary.

And no, YAML isn't an XML derivative. But it's also not really meant for what XML is meant for. It's meant to be easy to write, while not being too difficult for a machine to read. XML is meant to be easy for a machine to parse, and sacrifices tremendously on the human readability, human writability, and verbosity scales. Much like the Java world has largely standardized on XML for configuration, serialization, etc, the Ruby world seems to largely have standardized on YAML for the same purposes. Why? It fits in the mindset of those who use it better. It's also more focused on data than it is on documents, while XML is much more document-based, conceptually speaking.

And yes, the number of both rapid development tools and frameworks out there that use XML is large. Spring, Struts, and Hibernate come to mind (though I believe much of Hibernate's configuration is now done via annotations, and used to be done via Javadocs) in the Java world.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ... well theres ^ some information to soak up...

so how can i make xml worthy of using w/ html ..? w/ XSL?

is it commonly used w/ html?

.. is this basically how its integrated http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/xsl_transformation.asp ?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    so do the xsl document embed in my html doc?

Member #
    This might be slightly off-topic, but an actual example I am working on in XML is one of those "how i am feeling" scripts for a client.

Basically they define what they are doing/how they are feeling at set points during the day/week and the xml file is queried and it returns two nodes, <feeling> and <desc>

Remove Ads