Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    i am in the process of creating my first website. things are slow going and i recently discovered an issue with some of my code. i have built the site using dreamweaver on mac os. the problem is... depending on the browser, the site configuration changes. that is, when i look at the site in IE certain features are not aligned correctly. however, when viewing in firefox everything looks fine. my question is, is there different code for each browser and if so, is there a simple fix for this problem. any information will be appreciated. thanks, charlie

Member #
    And this is why it's important to code by the W3C standards. However, even coding by the standards it's very hard to get IE to conform, and that's why we have to come up with many IE-specific hacks.Why don't you give us a better insight into the problem? Perhaps the actual code, and the site in action?
    Hyperair

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperair
    And this is why it's important to code by the W3C standards. However, even coding by the standards it's very hard to get IE to conform, and that's why we have to come up with many IE-specific hacks.Why don't you give us a better insight into the problem? Perhaps the actual code, and the site in action?
    Thanks for your response. I am not sure about the W3c standards, but I will look into that. What I have done thus far is combined various open source coding to cobble something together. Once you see the code, you will understand that I have had to get very creative to overcome my lack of understanding. At any rate, the site is www.charlesklahm.com. The problem is very clear when you use IE or Safari as the picture in the main frame is misaligned when the index page loads. I am also attaching the index file for your review. Again, I appreciate any information you can provide. Cheers, Charlie

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Pass it through the W3 schools validator and this will give you clues as to what is wrong with the code. For example "embed" doesn't seem to be closed in any way for a start.
    My html tidy gizmo gives me 24 coding errors in Firefox. Having had a quick look there sure are a few wierd things going on in the code.
    So use the validator and do what it tells you, this hopefully might tidy it up a bit. Also the doctype is strict, perhaps you wantr to change it to plain html or transitional xhtml, as the sttrict tag isn't doing you many favours at this particular point , because it's too fussy.
    It's hard to tell what's actually wrong until the code cleans up a bit.

Remove Ads