Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Member #
    I been reading a lot about CSS and would like to learn web design from this aspect.

I am totally new, and been messing around with photoshop and dreamweaver, and noticed that when I slice my web design and import it into dreamweaver it loads it completely in tables, and from what I read, this will use more bandwith and cause slower connections to take more time on loading it.

I would like to avoid this, and before I start learning any type of coding I need to know where to go to create a CSS style for that would fit with my template.

http://burghmusic.phpnet.us/

Right now I am totally confused where to start, since my design seems to be differnt then most of the tutorials I have seen. And I am still very confused about exactly how to start with CSS and HTML to make my image work.

So basically I guess I'm asking for some good site links to tutorials that explain why they are making each thing, and what can be done with each thing.Most guild explain how to do it, but don't really explain why to do it, or what you done can acutally do.

Member #
    Firstly, a diagram would help loads. Secondly, I'd really suggest you to get the basics of CSS intact before you begin coding. http://www.w3schools.com can help there. Viewing source codes of other websites which have unique layouts can help too. The web developer plugin for Firefox is great for this.
    Hyperair

Member #
    Thanks for the Link, its becoming a big help.

Shane

Member #
    http://burghmusic.phpnet.us/

Its coming along, and the learning process is also coming along.I know I'm using someone else's CSS template, but like I mention it helps me with the learning process.

I am currently using photobucket to link my images from, but I believe its actually slowing my site when loading.

For some reason I can not connect to my Ftp server for Phpnet.us and I am unsure where my image are stored exactly on my host. IF anyone knows how phpnet.us stores the images you use please let me now.

I tried my site address with a / then the image file but didn't seem to work.

Another thing I am unsure of, is I have a style made for the home page, but when I attached it to another page it all outa wack, am I doing something wrong.

Im working with Adobe dreamweaver cs 3

Member #
    My absolute favorite CSS tutorial -- worth millions: http://www.brainjar.com/css/positioning/
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Thanks for the post its helping a lot.

Now another thing im kinda confused on and cant find a good tutorial on explaining how to do it is this.

Code:
    <li><a href="#">Clubs</a></li>
    I am guessing there is a way to my pages reffered to as a number? hence the # sign?

as of now I am placing the a link in place of the number sign till I can find out exactly what it does, as of now, it only seems to scroll me to the top of a page. or do I have to make anchor points then use #(anchorname) or something?

And I am greatful for the help and being pointed in the right direction. this is deffently a good community and glad I found it.

Shane

Member #
    No actually. The # represents an anchorpoint. You can have, on the header of a certain section halfway down a super-long page for example:
    HTML Code:
    <a name="section1"></a>
    And you could have a link at the top of the page or something which will automatically scroll to the particular section:
    HTML Code:
    <a href="#section1"></a>
    href="#" will scroll to the top of the page.

An example is where the sections of Wikipedia articles are listed in a bunch of links in a sort of Contents table at the top of the article.
    Hyperair

Member #
    <tag id="sectionName"></tag> is preferred over <tag name="sectionName"></tag> in modern XHTML. Ancient browsers (Netscape 4? IE 4 or 5.0?) mess it up but the benefit is that IDs are guaranteed to be unique. Names are more for form elements.
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Thanks a lot, that cleared things up.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by straight_up
    <tag id="sectionName"></tag> is preferred over <tag name="sectionName"></tag> in modern XHTML. Ancient browsers (Netscape 4? IE 4 or 5.0?) mess it up but the benefit is that IDs are guaranteed to be unique. Names are more for form elements.
    Well actually it is preferred, yes, but anchor elements use the "name" attribute, and not the "id" attribute. It's impossible to use them otherwise.
    Hyperair

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads