Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

My site is xhtml 1.0 strict and I have a page on my site that has that has multiple links to various other sites that may help our clients, I would like to know if using Javascript to open them in a new window is okay since they are external links. I know that most of the people in my office are not computer savy let alone our perpective clients ( the odds are, they most likely do not know how to open in new window themselves) so with this in mind I want it to open in a new window automatically so they do not navigate away from our site. So is this one of those times when it is okay? What is everyones thoughts on this?
    Thanks!
    Sue

Member #
    If they are external and are styled in a way that implies this (so internal links appear different) then it is fine IMO. As long as they degrade well, even if the JS fails at least load the URI in the current window.

http://www.quirksmode.org/js/popup.html is of interest

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    If they are external and are styled in a way that implies this (so internal links appear different) then it is fine IMO. As long as they degrade well, even if the JS fails at least load the URI in the current window.

http://www.quirksmode.org/js/popup.html is of interest
    Hi,
    I used js code that I got from sitepoint article but did not think about styling them differently, out of couriosity what is the purpose of that? all the links in the resource page are external except for nav links. I think I read that if the user does not have js then the links will work in the same window. So how could I tell if they degrade well or not? for some reason I have a feeling I should know the answer to that part but right now clueless. :nervous:

Thanks for your response!

Member #
    Theres no real reason for styling them different, really it's just to signal to the user that there is a difference. If your external links are the same style as internal then your user will never really know what to expect.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    Theres no real reason for styling them different, really it's just to signal to the user that there is a difference. If your external links are the same style as internal then your user will never really know what to expect.
    Thanks I never even thought about that before I just made all the links the same. I guess that is a good idea. :classic:

I'll work on that!

Sue

Remove Ads