Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I just finished a site using completely divs and no tables for the first time, (yeah I know, good for me). Well it took me a while, but I got what I wanted. I was also playing around with AP divs in dreamweaver, which seems pretty awesome for layout. Is it considered good practice to use these? I am a rookie in this field and have been laying out with tables until I found out it's not the way to go.
    I know I can't use AP divs to center the page in different window sizes and stretch and all that. If I do use them should I design for 800X600 users only?
    I'm just trying to do things the right way. I can't get anybody to respond on 2 other forum sites. Is this a dumb question or something?

Thanks
    Shores Coins with css is the sight if anybody wants to check the code and shoot me down! (I didn't use AP divs on this site and it's 90% finished.)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    AP divs? Do divs take advanced placement classes? :-P

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh that was funny. And you are a moderator?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So I am, go figure. Turns out when you use a non-standard abbreviation for something and fail to define it anywhere, you can expect amusement out of me. Assuming, having spent a little longer to try and figure it out, that you meant absolutely positioned divs, I tend to go for `whenever possible, don't' for those. However, if necessary, they aren't frowned on much. They're particularly useful for absolutely positioning within a parent container.

Member #
    Chill, chill Shadow. It's considered a pretty abbreviation in Dreamweaver CS3 terms. Take a look at this: http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Drea...8d65-7e12.html

You were right, though, AP = Absolute Positioned
    Hyperair

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    < wince >. I remember when they referred to them as `layers' back in the MX and MX 2004 days. Oh Dreamweaver, why do you corrupt our new generation so...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, I am a part of that corrupt generation! But, fear not as I am learning to dig deep into code more and more with divs and css and not really paying much attention to the "Dreamweaver CS3 wysiwyg". I am counting on people like you to guide my poor soul in the right direction!

Soooo.... anyway, are we still supposed to design for 800x600 users? I notice a lot of designers do not, which actually makes me think it is not very considerate to 800x600 users.

(I actually did get a chuckle out of your AP joke!)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Typically, 1024x768 is the resolution to target now. Ideally, keep your layout so that you can still fit most of the important content in the 800x600 realm, but don't cry too many tears when that doesn't work

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank You Shadow

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Np.

Remove Ads