Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi! :classic:

I am really new to CSS and feel totally overwhelmed, but I am slowly getting it. I FINALLY got the header and footer to my site to remain static in CSS.. I am so happy with myself lol

However I am encountering a few issues.. my first one is, in the maincontent area, if text or graphics or whatever exceeds the window and CSS frames, a scrollbar appears. I want to hide the scrollbar BUT not make the user unable to scroll. Can that be done?

THe second issue I have is that I have padding of 20 pixels in the maincontent window however, that is not staying static at the top or bottom if scrolling is done. Is there a way to lock that down as well?

Member #
    As the Scrollbars are a feature of a browser, I do not think you can hide the scrollbar and still have a scrolling option.

Member #
    Not unless you are referring to an overflow DIV element.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What do you mean by not making the user unable to scroll? How do you want them to scroll? If you mean using the mouse wheel or whatever, it's very bad to have something like that without some visual indication that it's possible to scroll (like scrollbars). Alternatively, you can technically implement your own scrollbars through Javascript, if you want.

Member #
    I was thinking that maybe use a custom button for them to use to scroll, or the mousewheel, but I have since desided to use a CSS command to color the scrollbars instead to match the site itself, which makes more sense I think

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Keep in mind that the CSS rules that govern scrollbar colors are only supported on IE (and possibly Konqueror).

Remove Ads