Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey there everyone,

I seem to have run into one of the strangest problems I've ever seen . . . go figure, it only appears in IE . . . heh.

For starters, here is the website in question; www.steponz.com

Now in Firefox, everything looks exactly as it should, and always has. However, before being 100% I always check in IE as well . . . I rarely have any issues. This time though, almost the entire site is showing up wrong. For instance; the background image isn;t showing and the content is pushed all the way to the left. However, upon a reload of each page, it shows up correctly (well still slightly to the left by about 20 px). Another odd part to this is, when clicking through the navigation, one can click on the 'images' tab, and it shows up exactly as it should . . . completely centered and all. But as I said before, if you click through the other tabs in the navigation, they show up all skewed, yet get close to where they should be upon reload.

I've never seen anything like this, and have no idea where to go at this point (I've stared at the code for HOURS and nothing I've done seems to fix it). Another odd thing, is the code is identical on the images page, as it is on all of the rest.

I know that I sometimes use a little bit of out of date code here and there, but it has never been an issue, and since one page is working, I'm not led to believe that it has anything to do with older HTML tags within the document.

If anyone could maybe take a look at this, that would be awesome. The CSS has been validated, and I've gone through all that as well seeing if I could move this or that around to get a different result. I've had a few friends (who aren't coders) look at the site through IE as well, and they are seeing the same exact issue, so I know it isn;t anything on my machine.

If more explanation is needed, I will gladly try and elaborate. Also, thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this most bizarre issue.

Cheers,

-Ditch

Member #
    I should also note, that every so often when clicking to another page on the site, it works....but never twice if you try and do it again.

So strange . . .

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    1st ... We have a Westie too.
    not a show dog though ... the only thing she stands on is her dog poop ...
    I wish I could get her to stand like a show dog.

2nd .... I'm using IE6.0 and cannot get it to mess up,
    no matter what I do. I'll try it again tomorrow on a different PC.

Member #
    Yeah, I checked on IE6/Win2000 and it works perfectly. Maybe it's cached funny on your machine? I don't know where the problem would be coming from.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    A couple of other things ....

Since you're using PHP, why not put the copyright date on the bottom
    using the correct year?

Change 2007 to: <?=date("Y");?>

It will always show the current year.

==============

Try this experiment the next time you update your website:

After uploading files, instead of using the URL, http://www.steponz.com
    use this instead: http://steponz.com

See if there's any difference with not using "www".

I've noticed my webhost sometimes does some strange caching between
    the two URL's (with and without "www"). I'm not sure if the caching
    ends up being a problem on the server-side or my side.

Member #
    Hey guys, thanks for having a look.

I was actually told about the issue from someone else who was viewing the site, thus I went into IE7 and had a look for myself and saw the same thing.

I'm wondering if it is at all possible there is some new issue with IE7, as previous sites I have done, and cross-browser checked, are suddenly coming up with the same thing . . . certain pages loading fine, while others shift to the left and the background is gone.

Did anyone have a chance to view it through IE7?

Thanks again for your responses!

Member #
    I sorted it out, and figured I would share the fix.

First off, I'm used to UNIX servers, and using FTP, and this company I've done a few sites for (a few of which suddenly were doing the same thing) uses a windows server. The admin dude is kinda of a freak, and hasn;t set up any FTP accounts for me...so generally I build everyhting remotely on my own server, then zip the files, upload through dot net portal, unzip and all is good.

Well my server is currently down, thus I cannot get in there to work on things, so for little tweaks to say the 'header.php' or the like, I just used their little editor. After reading up on the UTF-8 business, I was still at a loss until I went in to try another tweak...when I went to save, the dot net panel auto-saves in you guessed it - UTF-8.

So to fix I just reuploaded the headers, and everyhting is golden.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheers,

-Ditch

Remove Ads