Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey there,

I could use some help.

I use the web developer toolbar extension in Firefox. One of the features I use often is the ability to switch the rendering engine to IE6(version something?).

When I create web pages that use em font sizes, the text in the IE rendered page appears significantly smaller than that of the default Firefox. Unfortunately I no longer have IE6 in order to test if this happens in the actual browser, or just through the extension.

One way I've solved this minor issue is by changing the character encoding from UTF to ISO. Once done text sizes will render consistently on both. However on a current project I'm working on, if I use this method, certain characters become screwed... miscellaneous euro/asterisk symbols appear in place of what should be there.

Is there something simple I've overlooked? I ideally need a solid way to test in the last generation of IE. Any thoughts?

Best Regards,

Trico

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I wish I had a good answer, but this is all I can think of ...
    http://www.browsercam.com/Default2.aspx

To use it all the time costs money, but you can try it out on a trial basis ...
    maybe enough to get through your problem.

If you do a lot of websites, the cost is worth it to use it all the time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Have you tried equalizing the size on things by specifying it in pixels?

Member #
    Thanks for the replies.

Using pixels certainly works, but I like the scalability of ems. I've seen quite a few screenshot/browsers generators around lately, useful... but they don't compare to refreshing a live page.

I'll have a new PC build soon, and I'll be sure not to upgrade the browser, leaving me to test IE7 elsewhere.

(It's a little irritating that IE7 on Vista renders different to IE7 on XP. :S

Member #
    Are you running Vista or XP? If XP, then you can use the IE6 standalone: http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone

If you're running Vista you could use XP running on Virtual PC and from there test in IE6. Or you could have IE7 on there and use the 6 standalone.. So you'd effectively have IE7/Vista, IE7/XP and IE6/XP.

PS. Haven't seen you around in a long time! How ya been?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm sorry, I meant using a baseline font size in px and then size everything else relative to it in ems. You will still get your scalability, but your base font size will be absolute.

Remove Ads