Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all! I want to make a simple question but very important to me as I am newbie in real web development. I use Dreamweaver and I need to know, what's better and more professional when you create a site definition.Is it better to use document relative paths or site-root relative paths? I have already read something helpful about that from Adobe, but I still need some experienced opinion on what to choose. I use a development web server (Apache) and when site is completely done, must upload that to the real server that will host it.So for the site, images , links, code or whatever which is better in order for my site to run properly on the real server, document relative paths or site-root relative paths? By the way are there any pitfalls that I must watch out?Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    For images, use relative paths ... assuming the images are on your server.
    For links, use absolute, even if they're on your site. I use relative links all
    the time, but have read about search engine difficulties with relative URL paths.
    But, I've never had problems with this ... just something I've read.

Probably the most important thing to learn after XHTML and CSS ... is PHP.
    Just about 100% of the sites now need to be dynamic, with content changes,
    flexible database changes, image galleries, blogs, etc.

Learn PHP and MySQL while you're doing your other static websites.

Remove Ads