Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Basically I used Imageready to work on the slices, rollover out and click effects of the "register" page but now i would like to figure out a way of making well two of the rollover effected images that are in a table to be buttons or just one of the effects to be a button, my site is www.andreingenxsys.com

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    What browser did you check your site with ... IE6.0?
    Things were all over the place with my IE6.0

Your site is an example of too much graphics vs too little function.

I don't know how much time you spent on your main page, but it
    looks like you'll have several other pages too. You'll go insane trying
    to make your site look right on IE6.0, IE7.0, FF, Safari, etc.

My suggestion is to take the main theme of your graphics (which are nice),
    but use them for the "look" within an XHTML (validated) CSS layout .. or template.
    Don't use any <tables> and don't use any Javascripting for your navigation.

Unless you can code your site to render properly on all browsers, you're going
    to have a tough road ahead as you create your other pages. If you plan on using
    PHP to load content into your pages, that will create a whole new problem for you.

People want content, not fancy rollovers ... give them the information they
    are looking for ... something easy to read, a san-serif font, good contrast.
    If things don't work, and navigation fails, people will simply click-away from you.

Member #
    The page loads fine on IE7 and FF.

As far as too much graphics and too little graphics, my site isn't complete, i am the only one making it and i didnt exactly ask for an entire critic of it..
    If you are talking about the black and white on the sides, there is a reason for that.
    What exactly do you mean all over the place because it looks like the only concern i have at the moment is that the registration section isnt matching at the top to the bottom of the products section... that i could use help on as well

???Why, am just asking because i dont even know any examples of XHTML or CSS pages that i know of
    "but use them for the "look" within an XHTML (validated) CSS layout .. or template."
    ??What is so wrong with using tables? granted i would rather use something that would not reload the page if any of the graphics has animation, of which i am thinking of finding another way to do some portion of the pages because i want some type of animation in certain sections but without having to reload everytime someone mouseover or mouseclick on any section
    "Don't use any <tables> and don't use any Javascripting for your navigation."

I wish someone could understand what I am trying to do here... and not focus on the bad points rather understand that if the site states that its underconstruction it means just that

??I understand ur point on this, but again the site isnt complete and to me that sounds like a pounding when there was no investigative question made towards me?? I am just a little bit frustrated because I come here or anywhere as a matter of fact and the first thing I get is "NOTHING WORKS" I am not pissed at you in anyway what so ever. I am the only one doing this company, I am trying to take on a project that will probably and hopefully take me further in what I am trying to do with my company and life.
    "People want content, not fancy rollovers ... give them the information they
    are looking for ... something easy to read, a san-serif font, good contrast.
    If things don't work, and navigation fails, people will simply click-away from you."

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    One of the problems with using a forum (or emails) is the way someone can
    say something (with typing), and the emotional part is not there.

I apologize if I may have not written my answer the best way.

It looks to me like you're selling some products. So you're building a website where
    you've probably spent many hours slicing images, making mouse-over images,
    positioning things, doing the Javascripting, etc.

What happens now when you start getting into your other pages? Do you already
    have the other pages done? What happens when you get into the pages that
    contain your products, photos, descriptions, prices? Are you using a database to store
    those items?

What I'm attempting to do, is to steer you in a direction where you can easily code
    all of your other pages, and possibly use some PHP to handle the "dynamic" display
    of your products. This will make it easy to manage your site, manage your products,
    and not spend so many hours on "how the site looks".

So ... I guess I'm doing some investigative questions without asking them the
    correct way. I should mention that you have come to the right forum. Everyone
    here really wants to help you be successful.

So, let me start over again, since I can't undo the things I've already said:

1) Will you be using a database? (PHP and MySQL)?
    2) Will you be using PHP to dynamically generate any of your product pages?
    3) Will you be using PHP to handle any of the PayPal transactions?
    4) Have you worked on any other pages that we can see?
    5) have you checked your main page layout on various browsers?
    6) If someone was looking at your site to buy an item, does the design and function
    of your site match the products you sell? (buyer expectations).
    7) Can a site visitor navigate to the products you're selling with Javascripting disabled?
    8) Can a site visitor with vision problems navigate your site with a screen reader? In other words, there is a design for accessibility.

The whole point of having an online store is to sell something and make money.
    You want people to visit your site, click on something, and buy it ... period.

I hope this sounds more positive and helpful.

Member #
    Apology accepted.

What happens now when you start getting into your other pages?
    A:I am trying to use a PayPal Shop Maker program that will allow me to make the pages of products and such to help guide me the correct way in showing what I need to show to clients.

Do you already have the other pages done?
    A: I have not gotten to that point yet, but am planning as I go from the main page.

What happens when you get into the pages that contain your products, photos, descriptions, prices?
    A: Thats where the PayPal Shop Maker program will come in handy, the reason why I am using that program is to get a better view of what I need done for my products, photos, drescriptions, prices.

Are you using a database to store those items?
    A: I've downloaded XAMPP, in the process of that, I've encountered something I have never delt with, and that is HOW TO DO? lol sorry but it is funny since I am new to the XAMPP or PHP/MySQL/Something else community... On that issue, I was faced with an error msg of which I had to do some deep searching to try and PATCH it since I could not find a fix for it. Before I can send the information to the database I need this fix done or else it wont work. The error msg PATCH, meaning temp fix, was to take a password out of the mysomething file and then there was no error msg. I will explain more about this issue later if you want to know more.

"What I'm attempting to do, is to steer you in a direction where you can easily code
    all of your other pages,"

And I respect that.

"And possibly use some PHP to handle the "dynamic" display of your products. This will make it easy to manage your site, manage your products, and not spend so many hours on 'how the site looks'."

I would definitely like to know more about how to use PHP to help implement it into my site.

1) Will you be using a database? (PHP and MySQL)? XAMPP, if you would like the link of where I got it from please let me know

2) Will you be using PHP to dynamically generate any of your product pages? HOW TO DO that?

3) Will you be using PHP to handle any of the PayPal transactions? Possibly but how?

4) Have you worked on any other pages that we can see? Not at the moment, because right at this stage, I am stuck on getting XAMPP working properly

5) have you checked your main page layout on various browsers? on IE and FF

6) If someone was looking at your site to buy an item, does the design and function
    of your site match the products you sell? (buyer expectations). Yes, items are changing due to market, clients will always be aware of an item change in the company or product they purchase to either lower client cost or replace item with better item

7) Can a site visitor navigate to the products you're selling with Javascripting disabled? I have not thought about that because, I assumed everyone these days have Java enabled browsers. I would like advice on how to deal with that issue or any other browser issue

8) Can a site visitor with vision problems navigate your site with a screen reader? In other words, there is a design for accessibility?
    Thats a tough one since I am the only one working on this and the only person in the company without any investors at the moment. I have not had a chance to take a look at how I can make the site or entire company with an accessibility feature. Of which I am more then open minded as far as to give that option to clients as well.

Please feel free to add my handle into either your MSN or YAHOO messenger: andreingenx@hotmail.com
    andreingenx@yahoo.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    mlsiem said what he said because you are asking a question regarding rollovers. When we go to the page, everything is confusing as far as the middle section goes with the rollover effects you have going on there. What my question is, is why is it so complicated? The site LOOKS really cool actually, I like the appearance, but don't sacrifice functionality over looks. Your site could look exactly the same done with divs and css, and maybe a little java script for the rollovers. That would make the site more searchable, accessible, and more functional with out all the headaches of cross browser compatibilty. It is almost impossible to even figure out what your question really is! msliem is good at what he does and he is pointing out some major problems with your site that you could remedy now before you get too far into it. I really think if he could have understood the question, he would have answered it and that would be all. We get that "Oh my god, where do we start?" feeling with a site like this. Please don't take this as "a pounding", I'm just telling you where we (at least me) are coming from. Pinpoint your question better and you may actually get an answer.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I've never used PayPal Shop Maker, but I have used the PayPal "sandbox"
    for developers. They have a test site with PHP example code for programmers
    to experiment with transactions between site and PayPal. Search Google for:
    PayPal Sandbox

I don't have a Javascript answer for the rollovers, because I don't use them.

I agree that not many people actually have JS turned-off, but the amount of
    code, the amount of time it takes to develop, and the increase in your web
    page size is not worth the "effect" is has on how it looks. (my opinion).

Your graphics are very good ... which is why I suggested you take that "look"
    and apply towards a CSS template, or your own CSS layout. I think the template
    idea is good because you can find a free CSS template from hundreds available.
    Easy to download and customize, saving you many hours of development.

Once the main page is complete, all other pages use the same CSS stylesheet.
    Only the content changes, which is what leads to using PHP for content management.

Accessibility is important for two reasons.
    1) There are actually people who might be looking for new computers that
    cannot read your font(s), which are placed over your graphics. They cannot
    adjust font size because your text (in several cases) are graphic images, not text.
    Contrast between font and background is a key issue.

2) If you design a site using a CSS stylesheet, remove the stylesheet and see
    how your site looks. That's what a search engine sees, and that's what a screen
    reader sees. They don't utilize Javascripting. If navigation is killed, that user
    cannot use your site. Granted, not many blind people will be accessing your
    site using a screen reader, but the structure (without CSS) is probably more
    important than the CSS itself. It's a good way to check accessibility.

Attached is a screenshot from a PC .... IE6.0 800pixel browser.

Keep us posted on your progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remove Ads