Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    1-How can you display text over an image please?
    2-Ultimately my goal is to make link buttons between pages on my site...Is this the correct approach? Or you design an image with text already written over it and save the whole thing as an image to make a web button? What is the common aproach?
    Please answer question 1 first without considering question 2, as I wanna know in general how you do it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    1 - I'd save the image as a background image, and then say for example it's a nav menu, I'd have it in a list, and the image would be the background image for each <li>, and then whatever text is in the <li> will show up over the background image.

2 - It's better not to save the text in the image because (1) it can be a pain to add new buttons or change buttons because you have to find the psd, make sure you still have the fonts, and also it would be really hard for someone inheriting the site if they don't have any of the original psd files and (2) if you just stick it in there as an image and don't do some kind of CSS trick to have text in the html, then you'll run into accessibility issues.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    For buttons (or links), do as Raspberryh says,
    But if you're more interested in putting text on images, like photo watermarks,
    or icons, you would use PHP GD to create images from text.

Here's an example where the month, day and year are actually put onto
    a .png image to create a new image ... the output is an image (no ascii text):
    http://www.catpin.com/calendar/

Remove Ads