Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey, well i found this site through a google search and thought that maybe the community here could help me since you seemed to be filled with knowledge based on the topics i have viewed.

So basically I'm kinda new to web design/coding. I have learned basic html from http://www.w3schools.com/ and the only sites i can really make with my knowledge are basic table based websites:ermm:. I was wondering what coding do i learn next? I want to be able to make sites that look and run nice because plain html wont get me vary far. And I am willing to put a lot of time into learn different types of coding because i just like creating things from nothing... so if you have any suggestions of what type of coding/langues i need to learn please reply it will greatly be appreciated.

Member #
    CSS! Then JavaScript.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by -chris-
    CSS! Then JavaScript.
    Ok thanks a bunch i have been seen a lot of talk about CSS being the best thing to learn lol

Member #
    :thumbsup:
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    CSS (which stands for Cascading Style Sheets) is like HTML's sister. They work together very nicely (though some sisters don't). The idea is to use HTML to create the structure of your page (simply inserting whatever headings, paragraphs, lists, etc. that you desire). Then use CSS to create the presentation of the page (how it looks).

With CSS you can easily position, resize, add borders to, and add backgrounds to those headings, paragraphs, lists, etc. as you please.

Another benefit of CSS is that you can create a CSS style sheet, which contains the CSS code that defines how you want your page to look, and then link it to your HTML pages with one line of HTML. Whatever pages you put this link in will be rendered as your CSS tells it. This means you can easily style multiple pages just by using one style sheet.

A great book I recommend to anyone wanting to learn HTML and CSS is Head First HTML with XHTML and CSS. Even though you may know some HTML, this book will describe it in detail in a very simple way using pictures and humor to keep you interested, then it teaches CSS in the same way.

Check it our here.
    http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfhtml/

Once you've grasped at least a basic to intermediate understanding of HTML and CSS (which the book will give you) you can move to Javascript. But don't just skip to Javascript or you may be lost.

Member #
    Wow tangerine thanks a bunch, i will look into getting that book soon

Remove Ads