Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,
    I’m working on the first version of a website that im happy to let represent me as a company after many many attempts for a couple of years.

I have some developer friends helping me but we’ve hit a brick wall so close to the end of all the difficult stuff. (Difficult for me anyway).

The site is an attempt to promote my services as a design company; I decided to go for one page of html making use of:
    • Animated scrolling to set co-ordinates
    • collapsing divs
    • floating nav
    When the page loads up, the recent projects div is the only open div and the ones below are closed

When clicking a button on the left nav, the page slides up or down to the relevant div, which opens to show the relevant content.

The nav slides into position to align with the title of the div.

I would say that we are 90% there in terms of making the page work how I want it, but there is a problem, which I assume is all down to logic and maths…

When playing with the divs and some are open and some are closed. The page begins to lose its scrolling position.

My uneducated guess makes me think that on clicking a button in the nav there should be some kind of if statement in place to detect which divs are open and which ones are closed, and then position the scroll of the page accordingly to the content is shown.

Can anyone help me move forwards?

Here are the links for my html page

http://flamecamp.com/contagious-creative/index.htm (all dives are open)
    http://flamecamp.com/contagious-creative/index-1.htm (only recent project div is open)

when the site is complete, although very rough, it will look something like…
    http://contagiouscreative.co.uk/sitedev/v3.gif

If anyone needs more info I can try and give you as much as I can.
    Thanks for reading.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    That floating nav is really distracting ... it floats in the middle, over
    things that I might want to read. You should eliminate that and
    let people use the red bars (show/hide) for the navigation. There
    really is no purpose for that floating nav thing.

But to answer your question, you could use PHP SESSIONS to keep
    track of which ones are opened and closed. That would be retained
    on the user's browser even if they left your site and came back, as
    long as they didn't close their browser. You'll need to use SESSIONS
    anyhow to handle the client login.

Member #
    Hey,
    thanks so much for your reply. Being my first time using a forum, it's great to get a reply.
    Regarding the nav, I should have explained about it a little better. There will be a script in place to keep the nav in postion horizontally, touching the vertical hairline. I appreciate what you say about there not being any point to it, but I think would come into play for example when a few or all of the divs are open and the page is quite long. You have made me think though.
    I will ask the developers if they understand what you mean about the php sessions and if we can bring something like that into play.
    Thanks
    Tosh

Remove Ads