Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

CPW
    Member #
    Hey everyone,

I'm working on a website for my church. Here's the temporary link: http://www.compeek.net/placeforgrace/new/

What I'm trying to accomplish right now is to get the "canvas" (white part) to have a minimum height of the full height of the browser minus the 10px you can see at the top where there is blue. I've been able to get this to work in FF and Opera just fine. As you can see in the source, I set to body to be absolutely positioned (I could also use a container div for this instead, but I saw no need for the extra markup) with a top of 10px and a bottom of 0px. This gives me a fixed height for the body instead of a minimum height, but it doesn't really matter because the canvas just flows out the bottom when there's too much content. I then gave the canvas a minimum height of 100% (using a CSS hack I found to make the minimum height work in IE also), expecting it to be fill up the body's height and therefore have an effective height of 100% of the browser minus 10px. This works great in Firefox or Opera. The problem is with IE (isn't it always?). In IE (versions 6 or 7 both do the same thing), the canvas is only as tall as the content. So far I've managed to get everything else in the site working across all three browsers, including both versions 6 and 7 of IE, and I would like to keep this up.

If you happen to notice any other problems with my site, please don't hesitate to let me know. I would appreciate the constructive criticism.

Thanks in advance for the help.

By the way, I realize that my clearing divs are bad coding style. I will eventually use the :after class in CSS, but for right now this was easier because I already know it works right.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I don't understand the question, or the problem.

With my IE6.0, it looks just like you want it to look.
    It has the black on the top, the left, the right, and
    it extends to the bottom of my browser.

The body and canvas look like the same thing to me.

Maybe you have some screenshots that show the problem on your PC?

CPW
    Member #
    Hm, that's weird that it seems to work for you. Well here are some screenshots to show what I'm talking about.

IE6:
    http://www.compeek.net/downloads/pfg_ie6.png

IE7:
    http://www.compeek.net/downloads/pfg_ie7.png

Thanks for the help. :-)

EDIT: I managed to get it working properly in IE7. It's still not working in IE6, but I'm not too concerned about it since I'm just doing it because I think it looks a little better. What I did was make the canvas absolutely positioned instead of relatively like before, and left the body with absolute positioning. Now I can adjust it easily and it does what I want, except in IE6 like I said. Thanks for the attempting to help, though. :-)

EDIT the second: I ended up using a conditional comment to load some overwriting styles for IE6 and below. So now it all looks good in FF, Opera, and IE no matter what the version is

Remove Ads