Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am redoing a site for someone and the person who created it locked the code in the header and footer where I need to make a few changes. This is the code that is before the head code (which is gray and cannot be deleted):

<!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/templateNEW.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->

After that there are various instances of editable content, like the page title. How do I unlock the code so I can edit all of it? Thanks.

Member #
    That code is not actually part of the page itself, it should be part of a template file or library item. See if you can find the "Templates/templateNEW.dwt" file and change the code there. this makes it so that your site stays consistent.
    drew beta - Portfolio, Blog500 - Graduate Studies Blog, WP4P - Blog, Life in Beta - Music Podcast for Nerds

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by drewbeta
    That code is not actually part of the page itself, it should be part of a template file or library item. See if you can find the "Templates/templateNEW.dwt" file and change the code there. this makes it so that your site stays consistent.
    The templateNEW.dwt file will be in the Templates folder, in the root folder of the site.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    That's what I was thinking, however, there is no folder called "Templates" in the root folder of the site. I can't find it anywhere it might be.

Member #
    someone may have deleted it on you. In that case, you may have to go through and delete all of the comments that designate a template throughout the site, but you may be better off trying to duplicate the template based on the commented code. Better yet, if you are running php on your server re-create the templates as php include files to save yourself the headache of updating your site files from templates and having to re-upload the entire site if you make an interface adjustment.
    drew beta - Portfolio, Blog500 - Graduate Studies Blog, WP4P - Blog, Life in Beta - Music Podcast for Nerds

Member #
    Agreed. Try to get away from using Dreamweaver templates. They are cumbersome, have extra weight, and hello... aren't easy to work with especially if you hand off the code.

And php includes are *very* simple to implement. It's how I started, and you don't need to know that much about php.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    I don't know much (read: anything) about php. Where is a good place to learn about it? As for the original problem, I just opened it in a text file and took out the lock code. So, I'm rolling now. Thanks for the help.

Member #
    Pages can be 'unlocked' from their template in Dreamweaver under the 'Modify' Menu: Modify > Templates > Detach from Template

Member #
    I am trying to explain how to unlock
    There are Two ways...

firstly, by having a template, you must be trying to alter CSS which is inside the template page code rather than in a seperate CSS page. You should copy the CSS from your template page at the top of the code view you will find them. Copy them into a seperate CSS file, then link your pages to that css page.

Alternatively, you could just go to modify, templates, detatch from template, which will change the code from template to normal, and you can alter it as you wish, but bascially this will defeat the object of you having a template to begin with.

Remove Ads