Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I am developing a website for a photographer and the number 1 requirement is to protect the work by restricting image download from the site, without using a watermark. Does anyone have a solution that can be implemented either with a "regular" site, or with a Word press blog?

Thanks,
    AD

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Short version: there is nothing reasonable that you can do.

The very nature of how web pages works means it's not possible without exotic and untrustworthy solutions like ActiveX controls. Flash might work but I don't know enough about how it works to say for sure.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    There are various ways, but none are perfect, and filburt1 is right: there is nothing reasonable that you can do.

I would suggest the best way would be flash, but like fiburt1, I don't know enough about it to really say for sure. The problem with flash, is that it is not fully supported by everyone. So you are relying on the visitor having an updated flash plugin installed.

You could also try a javascript that doesn't allow right clicking on images to save them, but that has obvious problems.

There is, however a few javascripts that work so that you can't select anything on the page, or you can't press any keys while on the page. But I think that's unreasonable.

So, in short, there's nothing much you can do, but I would suggest going with flash.

Member #
    Even if you prevent the users keystrokes/mouse actions, they can always view the source of your page (through a Browser feature, something that you as a developer have no control over (and something you should have no control over IMO)), locate the image that they want, type that in your address bar and voila, job done.

filburt1 mentioned Flash, and I think something like that could yield results. However a knowledgeable should know how to download a Flash file, so maybe they could extract the images.

If you do not want anyone to access it, then why put it on the web?

Member #
    I forgot about the viewing source problem, that's always going to be an issue.

And I agree with bfsog about downloading the flash file, but it is your best option, as far as I can see.

However, as bfsog said, if you don't want anyone to acess it, then why put it on the web? I mean, that's one of the reasons why the net was created - to share information.

Although I see your problem - you want to show artworks/photos but don't want anyone to copy them.....very tough.

The only thing left I can suggest to you is that you make the images avaliable only to members of your site, and they have to pay a small fee to view them, but they could still distribute and copy them for others.
    And will people pay to see something that they don't know what it looks like? I wouldn't.

Tough issue, and good luck.

Member #
    There is code that you can place in your meta data that will take care of this. <META HTTP-EQUIV="imagetoolbar" CONTENT="no"> This will disable the toolbar on your website that allows you to save an image.

I'm not sure if that will work with the latest browsers or not, but give it a try.

Member #
    If I recall that code relates to a feature that Microsoft released in IE6. So other browsers will not be affected by it.

And like I said in a previous post, nothing to stop the user viewing the source and getting the images that way.

Member #
    I think this is an issue that can't be resolved. When flash is your best soloution, then you don't really have a great soloution do you?

I'm still sticking with my flash soloution, but I do recognise that it has obvious loop holes, but I think it's still the best soloution.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, Flash is probably the best solution at the moment. Everything under the sun suffers from, at the very least, the `you can screenshot it' problem.

You can use Flash to limit access to the full-resolution picture, however. This is fairly straightforwardly done by making the Flash file be a shell that loads an image specified by an id. In these cases, the That id doesn't correlate to an actual image file except in a backend database. When the Flash file is asked to load an image, it is asked to do so by id. Then, it requests from the backend the filename that it needs to use. The next request then becomes a request to the right filename.

A well-designed such system will also change the id corresponding to the file for each request, or perhaps for each session, such that the id is, say, a hash of the current session id and the filename. In these cases, the Flash file would never send a direct request for the image file, rather requesting `the image file with id X' and being streamed directly the binary data from a file that is not accessible from the server in a different way. Other such schemes can be devised with increasing complexity to prevent the user getting access to the base file, even if they can screenshot their own desktop to get a reduced-quality version.

EDIT: Really, this has its own holes. They boil down to the other nemesis of protecting content online, namely `at some point you have to request the data'. Unless you have a cryptographically secure system on either end of the transaction with a key the user can't get (pretty hard to do, which is why DRM tends to fail so miserably), your system will suffer from this problem. The best you can hope for in these cases is security through obscurity.

Member #
    I think i've finally come up with the soloution: don't put it on the internet!:classic:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads