Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    well I finished the index page with pretty much everything I want...I am still unsure on some of the colors used...

check out www.test.pokertablesplus.net and let me know what you think on the colors! Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated as well.

I have made quite a few sites but all of been pure HTML and I can see my sites getting better and better as I learn more.

Member #
    I like it, kind of old school, about 8 years ago.....

So yeah, I like the colours, but maybe a little depressing if I was on there too long. You may want to add some yellow borders to make it a little more bright, but overall i like it!

In your code you seem to be writing XHTML and that's great. However I see no doctype. You need to put one in.

But great work, simple but I like it.

Member #
    too depressing?? I dont understand that

and were you joking about adding the yellow borders?

Member #
    What I mean by too depressing, is that your site contains a lot of dark, murky water blues and light greys. As I stated, I like it but if I stayed on your site for a while I'd probably find it a little depressing. Nothing personal. And remember that's only me. You asked me to comment on what I thought of the colours. That's what I did.

About the yellow border, no I wasn't joking. For me, I would prefer it if you had a yellow border on the box that says "Check out our offered table styles and custom options to view your ordering options. ". It would make the box look a little more noticable and the site would get a little more colour.

Also, since I last visited the stie, I think you've lightened the background behind the content. This seems to be an improvement. If you haven't, well maybe the site isn't as dark as I initially thought.

But remember that this is only a personal preference. Please don't take this all the wrong way!

I also want to say that you need to add a doctype. I've seen people previously on this forum comment this to you. It won't be XHTML complient until you add a doctype, by the looks of your site you'd want Transitional. Most of your code looks to be coded on the basis of having XHTML doctype, so you wouldn't need to do too much work.

Also, I've spotted 2 pieces of code (there could be more) that are outdated and if I'm correct are errors in XHTML.

One is:
    HTML Code:
    <body background="background.jpg"
    onload="MM_preloadImages
    ('home_link2.jpg',
    'why_link2.jpg',
    'about_link2.jpg',
    'styles_link2.jpg',
    'options_link2.jpg',
    'gallery_link2.jpg',
    'testimonials_link2.jpg',
    'guarantee_link2.jpg',
    'friends_link2.jpg',
    'quote_link2.jpg',
    'order_link2.jpg',
    'contact_link2.jpg')">
    The thing that I'm talking about is the background bit. The onLoad is fine.
    But the background bit needs to be removed and put into a CSS stylesheet (external).
    So your body tag will look the same as it does now except the backgorund, which is to be put into CSS, like so:
    Code:

body
    {
    background: url(background.jpg);
    }
    Something else I've noticed is the use of the <center></center> tags. You can't use them anymore in the web! You should replace them with a div, so wrap everything in between them in a div, and then in your CSS styling, set the margins to 0 and padding to auto (i think that's right) or just specify the width and go text-align: center; although I don't think the text-align is the proper way, so just use the first example.

Hope this helped and remember it wasn't meant personally, just designed to help you!

Member #
    Im not taking anything the wrong way I just didnt think the site was that dark...my old site was completely black and gray so thats why i needed the update...

i think for what im doing it is fine and as far as the <center></center> tags i did not know that....

as far as the background url i will add that to my CSS

How do i add a doc type on my site?? That's the only thing i dont understand and i will fix the rest right now as i am going to finish and publish my site on my main link

Member #
    I think you'll want a XTHML Transitional Doctype, so in your HTML, just delete the <html> tag. Don't delete the </html> tag, just the beginning one. Replace it with the following:
    HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html
    PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> 
    That should do it. Then to see whether your site has any errors on it (whether it is fully complient) go to this link and type in your address or copy and paste the code.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by diddy
    I think you'll want a XTHML Transitional Doctype, so in your HTML, just delete the <html> tag. Don't delete the </html> tag, just the beginning one. Replace it with the following:
    HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html
    PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> 
    That should do it. Then to see whether your site has any errors on it (whether it is fully complient) go to this link and type in your address or copy and paste the code.

Do I have to put this doctype on every single page or just the index??

Member #
    every single page (sorry!!!).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by diddy
    every single page (sorry!!!).
    Okay i added the doc type and checked out my index page with over 200 errors

a lot of them i dont understand and do not tell how to fix and when i changed what they were talking about my scripts stopped working

do i have to fix ALL of the errors such as:

Line 20, Column 71: character ";" not allowed in attribute specification list.ůM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0; i<a.length; i++)

Line 16, Column 37:
    general entity "i" not defined and no default entity.var i,x,a=document.MM_sr; for(i=0;a&&i<a.length&&(x=a[i])&&x.oSrc;i++) x.src=x.o This is usually a cascading error caused by a an undefined entity reference or use of an unencoded ampersand (&) in an URL or body text. See the previous message for further details. I've never known about this before and am kind of overwhelmed

Member #
    • Line 171, column 5: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: br line 169 and td </td>
    • Line 172, column 5: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: br line 169 and tr </tr>

like how do i fix these types of errors???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads