Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hello all

ive just started a web design course and our first project is to design a hotel site and so far so good. ive got to the last page of my site which is the online booking form and im a bit stumped. Now before i approach my teacher i would prefer to try and find out how to do it on my own, ive scoured google trying to find a tutorial but all i find is people trying to sell me products that build forms for me.

anyway if any of you guys know a good link or if the code is simple enough, i would really appreciate any help.

thanks

Member #
    you can use a regular php or perl form for that. Try Googling PHP forms. You may want to also store the information in a database, like MySQL.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...G=Search&meta=

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...G=Search&meta=

Member #
    hi Diddy

thanks for the reply.
    atm we have only covered HTML & CSS (its only week 8 of the course). the php tutorial you posted made sense to me but id be lying if i said i understood the purpose of the characters in the code. now while i would like to impress my classmates and teachers with a fancy booking form, i would also like to know exactly what i wrote down so i think that for this project ill have to stick to a more basic system.
    i forgot to mention in my OP that these sites are purely ficticious and wont even be uploaded onto a server so i dont know if any database would have a purpose.

but tbh i dont have a clue what MySQL is at this stage and i would be hopeless at trying to use it.

thanks for your help nonetheless.

Member #
    Well if its not going to be put on a server, then the methods I suggested couldn't work. Also, since you're not learning them, (at least at this stage) then you probably shouldn't be using them.

So I'd suggest just a basic HTML form. This is a mailto form, so basically it mails the information entered into the form to your e-mail address. Only problem is, it's not widely supported. . But you may want to check out some online tutorials on this.

Google search:
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...+tutorial&meta=

This site I found useful. Just remeber that it is a bit outdated and isn't XHTML, so just modify it for XHTML.
    http://www.pagetutor.com/form_tutor/index.html

Member #
    Diddy, he could install PHP and a Database engine on his local machine.

It makes sense to have PHP installed, saves you FTPing files you are working on.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    How could your teacher expect you to do a booking form that really works
    without using PHP or some other server-side scripting?

I guess you could simulate something using Javascripting (local to your PC).
    It would be like a made-up thing that doesn't really do anything.

Member #
    You could use a flat database I guess. That way you don't need server side just simple html file writes.

Remove Ads