Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

So I was working on redesigning one of my sites the other day (sort of) and came up with something that looked halfways decent: http://www.rctech.net/redesign/
    (note that there's not actually a review there, it was just a test of the page)

On my fancy computers at home, everything looks fine and dandy and great. However, when I looked at it at work, there was a visible border around the two JPGs featured on the page (the car photos), while the GIFs had no such issue. At 65536 colors this happened; in True Color (or 16.7 mil) it did not.

In most cases in the past, I have never worried about "web safe" colors, since most of what I do is either interface design, or for companies whose designs are already set in stone -- I'm more of a script/database guy than a graphic designer (hence my crappy looking graphics... haha)

Which brings me to my question: suppose I am saving a JPG for the web like that. What kind of special steps do I go through to make sure that it's going to look OK on most/all browsers? Any other recommendations to follow?
    futureal@rctech.net | R/C Tech

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Okay, I chekced the site on my computer, 32, 24, 16bit and 256 colors. The only time I noticed anything was at 256 - and to design for that is unreasonable as everything looks like @$$.

The reason is that GIFs are 256 colors while JPGs are 16bit (I think, might be 24). Color-safe palete refers to using HTML color codes (Like #FFFFFF etc) As different OSes may interpret differnt hexes NOT colorsafe to be different hues on different machines.

Then again, due to monitor setings iit's almost impossible to give your site the true color you see it as. I've worked with manipulating photos for the web - and eventually you just have to kind of go for an "average" color between monitors as a very purple piece may very well look blue on another. Then there's the whole CRT vs LCD issue...

My reccomendation: Keep it - it's fine.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    You're right.

After some browsing, I found a well-written and somewhta fascinating article on web-safe colors: http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...html?tw=design

The problem is as I experienced, at 65,536 (16 bit) color depth, a.k.a. High Color. An interesting excerpt:

There are no shared colors between high color (15- or 16-bit) and true color (24-bit) depths. 24-bit is the full palette, and this is the palette we use with design programs such as Photoshop. 8-bit is a subset of that 24-bit palette. The old 216-websafe palette is a subset of the 8-bit palette, identified for browser and operating system compatibility. But the 15-bit and 16-bit palettes are not subsets of the 24-bit palette; they are entirely distinct palettes. So no matter which color you choose when you're designing (excluding black and white), you cannot choose a color that exists both in the 24-bit palette and in either the 15- or 16-bit palettes.
    Maybe somebody else will find this useful at some point.
    futureal@rctech.net | R/C Tech

Member #
    Looks fine to me. I think most modern PC's shouldn't have a problem.

I've never really considered colouring on my pages, maybe I should

Remove Ads