Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I want to be able to stream quicktime video to a quicktime window. So basically when someone clicks on a screenshot of a video, it opens the file up in quicktime, or i guess i could go with a new window. Just like they do for movie trailers at the quicktime site. What would be the best way to do this? The streaming part is the most important here because some of the videos are going to be very large, and HD quality. (for our production company portfolio page)

Thanks for any help!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You're going to want to embed the image using either an [minicode]object[/minicode] or [minicode]embed[/minicode] tag. See this page on streaming quicktime for the appropriate markup.

Member #
    That wasnt quite what im looking to do. I know how to embed a video file into a page. I want to make the file open up in the quicktime player. http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...enjaminbutton/ Click the 480p link on either of the two trailers. They open up into the quicktime player itself. I want it to do this is our videos for our site are a variety of different sizes, and that makes placing them on a page visually challenging.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ah. Just linking to the file directly via an a tag should do the trick then. If the browser tries to open them up embedded, then you'll have to do some trickery with Apache or with PHP to serve them up using a content-disposition of attachment so that the browser knows to try to download them. Then it'll prompt the user whether or not they want to open it in an external player.

Member #
    Thanks Shadow, I will have to look into that a little bit later. My familiarity with PHP is little to none.(on my list to learn....) What we did instead is converted them to a progressive download FLV movie. And did a little bit of java script to have them opened in a pre-defined window. The quality we want isnt quite there. Something we wil have to mess with in the future, or look into what you mentioned above.
    Oh, and i tried just linking to it with the a tag and it brought up a download window.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ah, I see. Well, keep in mind that Apple's site actually embeds quicktime directly. Those buttons that open in Quicktime are actually Quicktime movies themselves. I know Adobe GoLive can generate said movies, but I don't know what other products can. This Apple page explains how it works, but I haven't looked at it in detail.

Remove Ads