Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi,

Browser compatability has been driving me mad for years now but I've fully got to grips with IE and Firefox and can happily make the site look the same on both, however now I keep getting inundated with people saying that the sites look wrong on Safari (flaming Mac users).

A big issue Im having is that in IE you can just fix the text size by using pxs. In FF it now just zooms the whole page instead of just the fonts (this is brilliant, why dont they all just do this?) In safari though the text size that the user is setting is screwing up my pages.

Is there a way to fix the text size for Safari? I read something about fixed text widths, how do I go about defining these in my CSS sheet?

Thanks,

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by medlington
    Hi,

Browser compatability has been driving me mad for years now but I've fully got to grips with IE and Firefox and can happily make the site look the same on both, however now I keep getting inundated with people saying that the sites look wrong on Safari (flaming Mac users).

A big issue Im having is that in IE you can just fix the text size by using pxs. In FF it now just zooms the whole page instead of just the fonts (this is brilliant, why dont they all just do this?) In safari though the text size that the user is setting is screwing up my pages.

Is there a way to fix the text size for Safari? I read something about fixed text widths, how do I go about defining these in my CSS sheet?

Thanks,
    Hi
    I think the problem is that you have your text container set at a specific width and height. So when the text grows larger than the containing box, it can't all be displayed. I viewed it in Safari and this was the case. In IE 7 the text didn't change size at all, which is really bad for accessibility reasons. In Firefox if you zoom the text only instead of the whole page (which some viewers are going to do), it breaks the layout. Opera was the only one that didn't get screwed up with a larger text, because it only zooms the whole page and doesn't give the option of zooming text only. If you are going to have a fixed container size try using overflow: auto. I think the best thing would probably be to not fix the height of the container and page. And of course don't fix the text size.
    When I am developing/designing, I view my pages in IE 6, 7, and 8 beta, FF, Opera, and Safari. I use IETester for IE6 since I am running Vista, and Opera and Safari have free downloads as well.
    Hope this helps!
    J
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the advice but.

I know that this is probably best practice but I and my clients are much more concerned with the design of the site staying as it is rather than expanding to fit expanding text which always breaks the layout of the pages.

As such I would much rather fix the size of the text in Safari than make the whole site expandable.Having looked around the majority of the big websites I use all break when you increase the text size in FF ( i guess this is an old version of FF as the one I have now just zooms the entire screen )

anyway Im at the point where Im just going to replace all the offending areas with images instead.

heres the site thats beraking:

http://www.atumstudios.com/gresham-timber/index.htm

apparently the menu text is overlapping on one of the buttons.

I think it looks pretty rubbish if just the one button getts bigger and runs onto 2 lines, nothing would line up with the picture then and it would be a right mess. If I changed these buttons for images it would effect the SEO thuogh so I guess Im just going to have to find the right mix of images and text.

P.S. your running on Vista? thats brave, I cant stand that pile of cack

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by medlington
    Thanks for the advice but.

I know that this is probably best practice but I and my clients are much more concerned with the design of the site staying as it is rather than expanding to fit expanding text which always breaks the layout of the pages.

As such I would much rather fix the size of the text in Safari than make the whole site expandable.Having looked around the majority of the big websites I use all break when you increase the text size in FF ( i guess this is an old version of FF as the one I have now just zooms the entire screen )

anyway Im at the point where Im just going to replace all the offending areas with images instead.

heres the site thats beraking:

http://www.atumstudios.com/gresham-timber/index.htm

apparently the menu text is overlapping on one of the buttons.

I think it looks pretty rubbish if just the one button getts bigger and runs onto 2 lines, nothing would line up with the picture then and it would be a right mess. If I changed these buttons for images it would effect the SEO thuogh so I guess Im just going to have to find the right mix of images and text.

P.S. your running on Vista? thats brave, I cant stand that pile of cack
    I'm not disagreeing that it's nice to zoom on the whole page, but not all browsers do that. That's what fluid/liquid or elastic layouts are for. Why not just design the menu to expand horizontally when enlarged? Those users that need to expand the text may get a horizontal scroll bar, but for them, they'd rather have to scroll than not be able to read it! And maybe you can explain to your clients that sites can be designed well and still be accessible, and that they will lose customers who need to enlarge the text to use the site!
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Hi,
    Dude i don't understand What are you really want to say.
    So please clear with your thoughts.So, We understand you easily
    And may provide some better help to you.
    You can also find me at my signature.
    I will gonna happy to help you.
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    What I want is a way to fix the font size within Safari.

like in IE if I declare the font size in pixels the user cannot enlarge or shrink it so the design of the site stays nice and neat.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Fortunately, you can't fix the font size in any browser worth its salt. Which IE obviously is not.

The web, as I've said in other threads, is not a medium where you have absolute control. If you want absolute control, use print. The web is a medium where the user has control, and you present what you think will look best. It's the user's choice to turn off your stylesheets if they wish. It's their choice to override your text and background colors. It's their choice to zoom your text. The best you can do is make it so that zooming the text has the essential effect of zooming the website (something that is quite possible by sizing and positioning things using ems instead of pixels).

Remember that you are a servant of your users. And this does not only apply to `you' as the web developer, it applies to your clients, as well. In fact, it applies more to your clients than to you, though it falls to you to convince them that this is the case.

Anyway, to the point: if people couldn't zoom text, people who have a hard time seeing would be shafted. There are two paths to take at this point: ignore it (e.g., leave it as it is, don't worry about people who can't scale the entire page -- the path you'd take if you don't care if those who are hard of seeing have some design issues) or fix it. I would suggest fixing it, since the relevant problem also manifests on the hull/brough page in Firefox, since there's more text than can fit in the absolute-height container.

To address your question as to why everyone doesn't do the whole-page zoom, by the way: because it's a pain in the butt to implement. You could also tell your Safari users to use Ctrl+mouse wheel (or double-finger drag for laptops) to zoom the entire screen.

Remove Ads