Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi there - im am new to web design and this forum. Im a photgrapher from Denmark and i too deel this global crises. No costumers i thought id like to get to know dreamweaver a bit for making my self a new website. After been fiddiling around some days i doubt that i ever going to do that. Anyways this is kind of interesting so i might as well learn a littel. Until now ive been using the tuts on youtube and the book - "dreamweaver for dummies".My humple goal would be to build a 3 page website. Home, Gallery (a simpel gallery) , and a contact page. I do have a web site (a ugly one) in wich i use filezilla to upload images. Anyways ive made a rough sketch on how i want it to look. So far ive manage to put in a head image 770 pixels wide as a table (i think). So my question is: Ive made this graphics navigation toolbar in pscs4 (see atachment) and id like to use this in my new site but i dont know how to import it in dreamweaver and use the buttoms as links. any help would be greatly apreciatet. thanks jesperx
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Will anything happen to the buttons when you mouse-over them?
    Or do you just want them to be links (nothing else)?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jesperx
    Hi there - im am new to web design and this forum. Im a photgrapher from Denmark and i too deel this global crises. No costumers i thought id like to get to know dreamweaver a bit for making my self a new website. After been fiddiling around some days i doubt that i ever going to do that. Anyways this is kind of interesting so i might as well learn a littel. Until now ive been using the tuts on youtube and the book - "dreamweaver for dummies".My humple goal would be to build a 3 page website. Home, Gallery (a simpel gallery) , and a contact page. I do have a web site (a ugly one) in wich i use filezilla to upload images. Anyways ive made a rough sketch on how i want it to look. So far ive manage to put in a head image 770 pixels wide as a table (i think). So my question is: Ive made this graphics navigation toolbar in pscs4 (see atachment) and id like to use this in my new site but i dont know how to import it in dreamweaver and use the buttoms as links. any help would be greatly apreciatet. thanks jesperx
    No just links . Ive tryed a littel and what i came up with was this: I slice it in photoshop and pull the slices in to dreamweaver where i use the pointer tool to point from ex. Home to index.html and so on . Is this ok? if yes i have another question: Id like to do a gallery page consistent of say 10-15 thumbnail images that can be opend in one and only one bigger image frame - how is this possible? if its possible:ichatbiggrin: thanks for answering

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    Will anything happen to the buttons when you mouse-over them?
    Or do you just want them to be links (nothing else)?
    Sorry - im messing around - hope you see my answer

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jesperx
    Sorry - im messing around - hope you see my answer
    No just links . Ive tryed a littel and what i came up with was this: I slice it in photoshop and pull the slices in to dreamweaver where i use the pointer tool to point from ex. Home to index.html and so on . Is this ok? if yes i have another question: Id like to do a gallery page consistent of say 10-15 thumbnail images that can be opend in one and only one bigger image frame - how is this possible? if its possible:ichatbiggrin: thanks for answering

Member #
    Can you code by hand, i mean do you know any html, xhtml or css? If you don't, you should learn them instead of using the WYSIWYG part of dreamweaver.

Member #
    Ok - where would you surgest i start? im completly blank! regarding coding and web site making. thanks jesper

Member #
    Coding is much better to create websites with than using a WYSIWYG editor. (what you see is what you get). There is more flexiblity and you control everything that happens, and it is much easier to edit etc.

What you need to know is HTML (hypertext markup language). Then XHTML (extensible hypertext markup language). Those put things on the page, like text, images, navigation bars etc. Then learn CSS (cascading style sheets) which will add flare and style to your page, therefore making the text and navigation bars etc look fancy. Those are essential. Learning some kind of graphics program like Photoshop will also greatly help you but from what I gather you already know Photoshop or similar.
    Later, you might want to learn PHP and Javascript to add more interactivity to your web page. But for now don't worry about those, just concentrate on getting your basics up to speed.

There are different ways to go about learning them. Online tutorials are a good and cheap way to do this. Buying books are also a helpful idea, as is doing a course or degree.

Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Jes ...

For your image gallery, you could use LightBox to open your images/photos.
    http://www.lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/

But you're in a situation where you know how to use Photoshop, but don't
    know anything about HTML/CSS/PHP/Javascripting.

You need to work with someone else (in person) who can give you some
    hands-on tutorials. Maybe even take a class somewhere if possible.

You can find and learn everything online for free, but it will take you a while
    to sift through all of the online tutorials. Find someone who can sit down with
    you at a PC ... sort of like taking piano lessons.

Member #
    Wow - thanks for those great answers. I see there is a long journey :ichattongue: but interesting. A class would be good but there must be a good beginner basic book that begins with the beginnig:laugh: - any surgestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads