Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi guys. I am pretty decent with working with my web pages but I don't spend time keeping up really. It's more of a tinkering hobby with me. And what I would like to do is when I record a video with my recorder and save it to my computer as a .mov file, how can I embed this on my page? Is there a tutorial on this somewhere you guys would recommend?

Also, I'd also like little help on embedding .mp3's as well.

In both cases, what is the best way to present them? May I offer a choice to play or not play rather than have it play simply by loading the page? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I recommend you find a free Flash video player.
    That means you need to find a program to convert .mov to .flv (flash video).
    The free flash player that comes to mind is FlowPlayer.
    http://flowplayer.org/

MP3's can also use a free Flash MP3 Player ...
    A couple of examples ...
    http://www.catpin.com/streaming.php

Also use Google to search for Flash Players.

Member #
    Thank you so much sir.

Member #
    I have been reading a little bit on this player. I dont have it sorted out yet and have a question for you. It may be a stupid question but here goes.

You did say Id need to convert the file from mov to flv first. Does flowplayer do this or is this a player alone? Do I need another program to actually convert the file? since I am trying to get a handle on this, some clarification would be appreciated. thank you.

Member #
    I figured out the deal with my last question and did manage to convert a .mov file to .flv. i learned alot to be sure in all the reading I've been doing. One thing I could use a hand on is..... The utility I used to convert the file from mov to flv was called allok converter. Seems to do a nice job but I'm not sure how it stacks up to some of the others. It does offer a trial version to convert the file but for 30 days only and only up to 5 minutes of time. You can buy it for 39.00 in order to get the full fuctional version. Of course I hope I dont have to do that seeing how I dont do this everyday. Is there another decent program which is free to use?

Tell you what though, it was cool to get a video up like that. I felt like I knew something. LOL

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I've looked at many FLV converters, most say FREE, but they are not free ...
    it's frustrating to work like that. So, if you find one that works, the $40 is
    worth paying ... instead of getting kicked every time you try a different one.

But before you start in with the FLV Flash Video, I assumed you looked into
    embedding . mov videos ... there is quite a bit of info on this topic:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=.mov+embedded+video

It can be done, but your users will most likely need to get the Quicktime Plugin.

I like Flash because it's usually already supported by PC, Mac, etc.

Member #
    Please, whatever you do don't embed a .mov file into straight into the webpage before converting it, as lots of pc users don't have the quicktime plugin, and it's a pain to install it - i'd rather just go into a webpage with my flash plugin which most pc users have and just view the video. I'm not sure about how many mac users have the flash plugin, but they represent a great minority of the market.

Just some friendly advice.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Yeah, definitely don't use .mov.

Look at Flash Media Encoder to convert movies to FLV. I believe it's free from Adobe, and I believe it does encode to FLV for you.

If that doesn't work, check out FFmpeg - it's IMO the greatest media utility in the world. It'll convert anything to anything. Runs in command-line, though, so that may be an issue for you.

Remove Ads