Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Planning Ahead

Member #
    I haven't actually introduced myself yet, but my name is Jeremy and I'm taking the leap towards learning web development. My background consists of SOME raw HTML coding about 6-7yrs ago when I was a senior in high school.

I decided to get into web design to possibly make some extra money on the side, and the fact that I have a couple hours spare time at work during the day that could be used efficiently. A co-worker gave me a copy of "Sams Teach yourself HTML & CSS in 24 Hours" and I'm at around hour 14 or so in the book. I've enjoyed it so far, and it has been fun re-learning HTML and now I'm getting into the parts of learning whats foreign to me: CSS.

I kind of read around the forums here before actually posting and usually a question is answered with: Do you have your own domain/hosting setup yet? If not don't waste our time. I have actually went ahead and bought www.jhamp.com and have the hosting setup through bluehost.com in preperation for developing my first "real" web site.

Ok, after that wall of text, I'll get to my initial questions...

1.) Has anyone here read the book I currently am? (Sam's Teach yourself HTML/CSS 24hrs)

2.) How advanced should I expect to be after completing this book?

3.) What book should be the next step forward for me to go through after I have the initial understanding of HTML/CSS?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry this post is kind of long...
    Jeremy

Member #
    Hi Jeremy, welcome to WDF.

1.) Has anyone here read the book I currently am? (Sam's Teach yourself HTML/CSS 24hrs)
    In my younger days I bought a lot of books, some were Sams so I possibly have this book somewhere. If not, I am pretty sure I have Sams books specific to each HTML and CSS (and other publishers' books on the same topics)

2.) How advanced should I expect to be after completing this book?
    I would say you would have a solid general knowledge of HTML and slightly lesser solid general knowledge of CSS. Why? Well, although HTML is the core of web pages, you will come to find yourself using the same tags on a regular basis (such as <p>, <ol>, <ul>, <li>, <div>, <table>, <etc>)

And for CSS, well it really is a complex kettle of fish. Never mind all the properties and the different values they can have (and the declaration order of those values) but you also have to grasp how different browsers handle your CSS style rules.

I have been developing web pages in some form or other for about 10 years now, and I recently purchased 2 books on CSS and I learnt a lot of stuff - take that as a marker for how much depth CSS has.

3.) What book should be the next step forward for me to go through after I have the initial understanding of HTML/CSS?
    If you are happy enough with what you have learned so far then I would suggest a JavaScript book (or a good online resource for JavaScript). Now that you are happy with HTML and CSS, you can learn JavaScript to manipulate your HTML and CSS amongst endless other things.

Good luck, and as ever if you need more information or clarification on anything else WDF will be sure to help you.

Member #
    Just remember to learn XHTML.

And good luck!

Member #
    Thanks for the responses, any suggestions on the exact book/s I should pick up?

Member #
    I've heard O'Reily are good, and there are lots of online tutorials that are good, like www.w3schools.com.

jj1
    Member #
    Personally, I started web design by using a package - Microsfot Expression (others use Dreamweaver) - that allowed me to adapt 12 or so templates - I started by using the WYSIWYG side of it and then branched out and started working with the HTML option. I found that an easy way of seeing how it all slotted together and, design-wise-, it hasn't yet limited me. Good luck with whichever option you choose.

Member #
    I finished the original book I had borrowed, and it DID refresh a lot of the html that I had previously owned, but it didn't really cover the design side of CSS. I went ahead and ordered 2 more books today off amazon and hopefully it will generate some ideas of what and how exactly to layout a page using CSS.

The two I ordered were:

Pro CSS and HTML Design patterns by Michael Bowers
    CSS: The Definitive Guide by Eric Meyer

I went by the reviews on amazon and both books seem to be for beginner/intermediate level CSS knowledge. Has anyone here read either of these books and possibly be able to give me a general idea on how far a long I should be after completion?

I'm really trying to go about learning proper web design in the best direction possible using my time. I figure a realistic time table of around 3-6months I should be able to present a semi-professional template for sale or use. Does this sound accurate?

Thanks in advance, I really like how helpful people on this board can be and appreciate the fact that it's a new forum.

Remove Ads