Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    How do i see wich doc type i should assign my web page. I didnt even know about this until a friend told me to assign one. Thanks once again . jb http://www.davivarsmaa.dk

Member #
    Because you used inline styling and a table(also with inline styling) you will want to use XHTML Transitional DocType

<!DOCTYPE html
    PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

This should be the very first thing on your page, before any other tags.

Read a little more about doctypes at W3Schools
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    THANKS JUYIL. WANT TO ASK THIS: YESTERDAY I HAD A FRIEND TO VIEW MY TETS SITE IN BOTH FIREFOX AND SAFARI. iN SAFARI ALL WAS GOOD BUT IN FIREFOX THE FIRST RED BUTTON SHOWED THE BLUE LINK SQUARE AROUND IT - WOULD THIS BE IMPROVED BY ASSIGNING A DOCTYPE OR IS THIS DUE TO OTHER PROBLEMS? THANKS

Member #
    This probably wouldn't have anything to do with a doc type, unless you're using strict. I don't use strict but it may be that it doesn't allow border="0" in your html for an image. So in your css, just put this:
    Code:
    img
    {
    border: 0;
    }
    Or you could assign the image a classname or id if you don't want the zero border to apply to all images.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by diddy
    This probably wouldn't have anything to do with a doc type, unless you're using strict. I don't use strict but it may be that it doesn't allow border="0" in your html for an image.
    Strict doctype doesn't allow any inline styling. It would have to be declared in an internal or external stylesheet.
    But I don't see any border in Firefox.

Member #
    Thanks jyuil and diddy. I will try that doc type - transtional! Actually ive allready tryied it and when i paste it into the document some of my fodder - i think its called( the last part of the page where it says "tak for at du besøgte mit site") dissapears. So until now it is out there without any doctype because i dont know how to fix those errors i see when validating it on that rather used site for validating (cant remember its name now).it says i have 49 errors and a couple warnings. How do i learn how to fix those errors so i can use that doctype . ALSO if you can answer me on this : If you - Jyuil says that it looks ok in say Firefox - and another (eks. my friend from yesterday who told me it looked ok on his mac in safari) and I my self wiew it ok in explorer 6. Is it then safe to say that my site looks ok in these 3 browsers all over the world wide web - or am i totally of the track here. Thanks for your patiens with ignorant me :-\ . Regards jesper

Member #
    I think it's best to check your site on as many browser and OS combinations as possible. I'd try testing Firefox on PC and Mac, Safari on PC and Mac and IE 6 and 7. There's always Opera and Chrome and hundreds more. But just test them on as many browsers as possible.
    I think you should be ok, with the testing you've done so far except that you should test those browsers on the different operating system. And test it on IE 7 as well.

Member #
    Add this line
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
    after the doctype I posted above.
    then see what errors it gives you. The thing with errors is, sometimes when you have an error, there are more errors after that that go away after you fix one...that is, they aren't really errors, but because of the first one, the validator can't properly assess the rest of your html.
    I am looking at it now, and that line I told you to add is the first error on the list. If you are using http://validator.w3.org, Look at the options box right under the top area that states the page infor. There is a checkbox for "clean up Markup with HTML Tidy. Check that, then click "Revalidate". At the very bottom of the page, after all of your errors, will be the new html for your page, and I would recommend you compare that with what you have now to learn the differences.

Member #
    Thanks Jyuill and diddy - i will have a look on that doctype and insert that line - i just finished my contact page . now its the doctype insert (i do the cross sign ) regards jesper

Remove Ads