Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello can someone check out my site at:
    Code:
    http://shellsite.okinawapc.com
    My css is stored in default.css

For some reason I cannot get my header image to display properly. In Firefox 3.0.6 the image doesn't show up at all, in IE7 only about 33% of the top shows up...is there a better way to fix this? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm not sure why your header has all those declarations in the css. Float: inherit; doesn't need to be there, as well as some of the other things. I would get rid of some declarations one by one, testing as you go, and it should iron itself out. It's just a basic header with a background image. You can just insert the image in the div and not use a background too. That way your div is holding something.

Member #
    Tons of uncessary rules for the header, like aeroweb said. Here is a more accessible way, although not the most accessible way, of doing it.
    In your HTML:
    Code:
    <div class="header">
         <h1>Lucky711x's Den</h1>
    </div>
    Then in your CSS:
    Code:
    .header h1
    {
         text-indent: -9999px;
    }
    .header
    {
         height: 150px;
         width: whatever width is;
         background: url(images/header.jpg) no-repeat center top;
    }
    This way screen reader's will be able to read your <h1> tag even though you can't see it, and so will search engines.
    Also, you don't need all those font declarations, as you don't actualy have any text in your header div, and if you use this code, you still won't because no one will see your text.
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey jyuill, how cross browser compatible is offsetting that H tag? I've never done it but was just reading something on it today. Seems like a good technique but haven't seen much of it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroweb99
    Hey jyuill, how cross browser compatible is offsetting that H tag? I've never done it but was just reading something on it today. Seems like a good technique but haven't seen much of it.
    I have never had a problem with it...I didn't look too closely at how this sites container was centered...but I usually with my container or just the header depending on what I'm doing will also give the "object to be centered" a position absolute; left: 50%; margin-left: -half of the width; because margin:0 auto; doesn't work in good ole IE6 (or maybe it's just 5.5, I just have a list of non-IE rules in my head :-/). But as far as the offsetting text....I have never seen it not work, I use it on all header images.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jyuill
    but I usually with my container or just the header depending on what I'm doing will also give the "object to be centered" a position absolute; left: 50%; margin-left: -half of the width; because margin:0 auto; doesn't work ...
    I meant position: relative!!!!

Remove Ads