Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    the header looks clean in IE 7. However in firefox i get a space and my page does not blend as intended. I can not figure out how or why it is doing it. Please help.

i took a screen shot of what i am getting. please see attatched image

the site is http://www.directharleyparts.com

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    This is really difficult to troubleshoot because of <table> layout.

I am questioning this line:

<div style="" id="slideshow">

no style ( "" ) and and id defined, but I can't find that ID in your CSS file.

Member #
    Regardless of anything else, your page has 180 errors and 3 warnings using my Firefox html validator, 333 errors and 22 errors using the W3C validator. I've said in other posts, before you can start debugging, you should validate. Probably 99.99% of the time, when firefox displays something "incorrectly" it is because of validation errors. If IE is ever displaying "correctly" and Firefox isn't, something isn't right with your code. A lot of your problems are unescaped characters, capitalized tags and attributes, and unclosed tags. You have also used an id twice on the page, and that could very well be your issue. Line 69, <table> with id of "Table_01; line 107, <table> with id of "Table_01". But as mlseim said, really hard to troubleshoot tables, and <div id="slideshow">, which I am assuming is your header and is also within that first "Table_01", is not defined in CSS file.
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    I'm getting a Page Load Error - Timed Out. This is happening on both IE7 and FF.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    People need to pay attention to what they are building. I see this time and time again. That code is terrible. Full of depricated tags and everything jyuill said. "What's wrong with my site?" and then we look at the code and it is a complete mess and darn near impossible to sift through. They want someone else to clean up a spilled mess of code. If any of you want to call yourself a designer, then at least learn some basic coding. CSS is not hard to learn at all. Though I suppose it is EASIER to drop some table cells in and plaster the page with cool graphics and worry about the functionality of it AFTER it is built. Maybe test as you go along? That's a new concept.

Sorry, I just get tired of seeing code that is almost unreadable and then someone wants us to figure it out. Yes, I'm crabby today.

Member #
    I get crabby every time I see it. I took the time to learn it right the first time. I know I am a lot newer to this than most, so I never even learned to use tables for layout, and so didn't have to "unlearn" anything before learning correctly. But the way I see it, people who are still using tables are just plain too lazy to learn to do it correctly. Even if tables are used (which they shouldn't be), make sure it validates!!!!
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Remove Ads