Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

I'm having a problem with some textareas on my page. By textarea, I mean the actual form element, not just a text region.

What I want to do is display a list of words and definitions, something of the form:

word1 -- pronunciation -- definition
    word2 -- pronunciation -- defintion1, definition2, definition3
    word3 -- pronuncation -- defintion

and so on.

Ideally, this is how it would show up, with line breaks only where the user actually hits the return key. Instead, when an entry (like word 2 above) exceeds the width of the textarea, I get something like:

word1 -- pronunciation -- definition
    word2 -- pronunciation -- defintion1, definition2,
    definition3
    word3 -- pronuncation -- defintion

For my purposes, this is kind of ugly. What I would like instead is for the textbox to simply produce a horizontal scrollbar.

I've found that going inside the tag and setting the wrap attribute to "off" will accomplish this. However, because this html is auto-generated by a framework, this isn't actually useful in production. I'm supposed to adjust this sort of thing with style sheets. But so far, I've come up empty on anything that will work in CSS.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Seems like there's no good way of doing this with CSS. [minicode]white-space: nowrap;[/minicode] and [minicode]white-space: pre;[/minicode] work in a few browsers (Opera, for example), but not consistently enough. The best solution would, sadly, be one based on Javascript that assigns the wrap attribute.

You could make this something that happens only if the CSS is verified to have the relevant white-space attribute, which would make it essentially observe your CSS for the appropriate attribute, letting you mostly configure it via CSS.

Member #
    I don't know if you mean when the user is actually filling out the form, or when the form is submitted. If it is just the filling out, just define the text area in your CSS as
    textarea
    {
    overflow: scroll;
    }
    If you mean when it is submitted...??? not really sure depends on what/where/how you are submitting it?
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jyuill
    I don't know if you mean when the user is actually filling out the form, or when the form is submitted. If it is just the filling out, just define the text area in your CSS as
    textarea
    {
    overflow: scroll;
    }
    If you mean when it is submitted...??? not really sure depends on what/where/how you are submitting it?
    But apparently that doesn't work in IE...I'm sorry!!!:-\
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, unfortunately overflow: scroll shows the scrollbars, but doesn't actually turn off word wrapping, so it doesn't help much. Very silly that it's so damn hard, but there you have it.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Let's start with a more basic question... why does it have to be a textarea?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley
    Let's start with a more basic question... why does it have to be a textarea?
    Well, it definitely has to be a text area for when the user is entering or editing their information. (This is a quiz-type program). During the actual quiz part, I suppose I could use something else. I've been avoiding that so far since I had hoped to present a consistent appearance across the site. But I suppose this might force my hand for using something else.

Remove Ads