Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm in the process of building a site. Everything works fine, except the footer is acting wonky in IE 6 and 7 on certain pages. It's bizarre and I've stared at the code so long that I want to pull my hair out. Can someone please take a look at it (obviously in IE7 since it works fine in FF)?

Here's the home page: http://leahhowardwebdesign.com/mbes/index.php/home.

Here's where things get weird: http://leahhowardwebdesign.com/mbes/...ent/contact/63.

The footer actually moves around if you scroll up and down.

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    I'm not seeing any problems. Can you post some screenshots of the problem?

Member #
    I've posted a screen shot. As you can see the footer has crept up into my content div.

Attachment 3051
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    You have alternate stylesheets for IE7 and IE6. I am assuming for your hacks and workarounds...have you applied workarounds for the footer for those browsers? It is probably to do either with floats or collapsing margins. When I first opened the funky footer page in IE Tester for IE6, it was fine. Then all of a sudden the footer jumped up into the content area...but that may just be because I use IE Tester. I didn't see a problem in IE7, though, unless it jumped up after the initial page load, also. I don't know how to view CSS in IE? Can anyone answer that?
    On a side note, when I saw the problem it was much more pronounced than your screen shot...the footer was completely inside the content area and the bottom of the footer was flush with the bottom of the content...and didn't look completely horrible. It almost looked like that was how it should be, except I had already seen the correct placement in Firefox.
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Try dropping the clearing on the footer, as it doesn't seem to be clearing anything. You also seem to have a lot of useless nested divs, try getting rid of those. I'm going to try to have a look in IE7 to see the problem shortly.

UPDATE: Yeah, looks like removing some of the extra divs fixed it for whatever reason. Maybe some strange positioning issues with the nesting in IE.

Member #
    I did use some workarounds, but none for the footer in IE other than some extra padding.

You've probably seen this if you looked at it in FF but here are my styles for the footer:

#footer {
    clear: both;
    text-align: center;
    color: #FFFFFF;
    margin: 0 65px;
    height: 50px;
    background: url(../images/backgrounds/footerbg_top.gif) no-repeat left top;
    width: 730px;
    }
    #footer div {
    background: url(../images/backgrounds/footerbg_bot.gif) no-repeat left bottom;
    width: 730px;

}
    #footer p {
    padding: 6px 0;
    }
    #footer a {
    color: white;
    }
    #footer a:hover {
    text-decoration: underline;

}

Here's the one style item I have for the footer specifically for IE:
    #footer p {
    padding: 3px 0;
    }

It's just so weird that it only does it on certain pages. Ugh I'll be glad when every user in the world uses FF!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Try dropping the clearing on the footer, as it doesn't seem to be clearing anything. You also seem to have a lot of useless nested divs, try getting rid of those. I'm going to try to have a look in IE7 to see the problem shortly.
    I removed the extra 2 divs inside the footer and removed the clear. It's still in the wrong location on most of the Fac/Staff category pages ( http://leahhowardwebdesign.com/mbes/...ent/contact/43 ) and it creeps up on some of them when you scroll up and down a few times (http://leahhowardwebdesign.com/mbes/...ent/contact/63). I can probably live with the random creeping, but I'd like to fix the ones that are obviously in the wrong position.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So, to be precise, I actually also removed the extra divs in the content pane. I basically only left divs with ids in place, and then IE7 started behaving nicely.

And if that still doesn't work, I temporarily added a [minicode]zoom: 1;[/minicode] to the footer style in the IE7 stylesheet, which gives the element layout. I removed it again before verifying that removing the divs worked, but it's possible that IE's reload is, as per usual, super-broken, so that may still be helping.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Is this a template you are using? That's an awful lot of css for a pretty basic layout. Those extra divs shadow was talking about was an attempt at rounded corners and expanding divs, but I don't like how they are coded. I could see the bg image repeating or somethig even though the css has no-repeat for those divs. There is a more reliable way, but I'm not sure that is what's causing the problems. I would put the footer in one div, style it how you want, clear: both, and you should be good to go.

Member #
    So what you need to do is look at the differences in your styles for those pages. I don't really see anything jumping out at me. I see a lot of errors, but they are just unescaped characters in your links, and shouldn't be causing the problem. This is why IE needs to die!! Out of curiosity, why do you have so many divs around your content? I'm going to say make sure you've done your math correctly for IE. I can't see any serious error, though. I'm really kind of stumped on this.
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads