Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi:

Due to a ridiculously high bounce rate - due to the fact that my website was only one page - I've included a welcome page. The problem being is that I've saved both .html files in the website folder directory: the main site as index.html, and the welcome page as welcome page.html. So when I code an <a href... link, I have to send users to the welcome page first.
    Is there any way that input the welcome page data into the index, call for a page break action, and have people navigate to the welcome page first without using:

www.pcwizguy.com/welcome.html

I'm sure that there is a way around this.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Yea ...

change the filenames around.

IMHO, a welcome page (or splash page) is a waste of time.
    There's nothing wrong with a 1 page website. Explain what the issue is.
    What is a "bounce rate"?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    Yea ...

change the filenames around.

IMHO, a welcome page (or splash page) is a waste of time.
    There's nothing wrong with a 1 page website. Explain what the issue is.
    What is a "bounce rate"?
    Geez, what a moron I am. LOL I can't believe I didn't think of that. It's been a really rough date.

To your question on bounce rates: A bounce occurs when a web site visitor leaves a page or a site without visiting any other pages before a specified session-timeout occurs. There is no industry-standard minimum or maximum time by which a visitor must leave in order for a bounce to occur. Rather, this is determined by the session timeout of the analytics tracking software.

That's why I have javascript impeded in the source code courtesy of google analytics. Very helpful script and process, as it tracks all of the traffic to your
    website and gives you a lot of data pertaining to that traffic.

Member #
    I think having the splash page may hurt your traffic. Me, personally... I hate splash pages and unless I know the site behind it is useful to me, I will leave as soon as I see the splash page...
    Does the high bounce rate hurt your page rank? What kind of site is it? Portfolio, personal, etc.?
    I just searched to see if a high bounce rate hurts page rank, and it seems it may hurt page rank, or if it doesn't, it will in the future. So if you do decide to use a welcome/splash page...design it well. Or break your site down into a couple of pages (IMO, the better option).
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Just looked at your site....one option would be to use a mail form instead of a mailto: link. Then people (at least the ones who want to speak with you) will be viewing more than one page. There really is no reason for a welcome page.
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, there is little way to measure bounce rate for PageRank except through Google Analytics, and it would kind of blow if installing their analytics package had the potential to actually hurt your results.

No, the bigger problem with a high bounce rate is that people are less likely to link to your site, thus hurting your PageRank. Plus, a splash page increases the likelihood of a high bounce rate, for the reasons jyuill outlined.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I suggest you use Google to find a free CSS template that is w3c validated,
    uses no <table>s for layout and is modern, XHTML, CSS ...

That would allow you to have a normal index page that people can immediately
    know what your services are. No splash page, and you can add several more
    pages easily (because you are using a template for design/layout).

Now realize that if you find a suitable template, you actually customize it with
    your own graphics, photos, content, etc. You just need the template for the
    basic layout, XHTML and CSS.

No offense here .... just my opinion:
    The site you have now is screaming "look how big my font is", and look how
    retro 1995 my site looks ... the guy in the picture is what your site feels like.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The bounce rate would be high if you only had 1 page!

Don't take offense but the appearance of that page is not going to get anyone to look any further into your site. Even if you are good at what you do. Appearance is secondary to content, but in this case , the appearance is hurting you more than helping.

Member #
    Oh, no. I take no offense at all. Actually, that's what I'm hear for. To learn as much about designing as possible. I think the description of the services offered on the site is sound; however, I still want to make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible. But I still realize that it's a page for PC/Mac repair, etc. With that in mind, I didn't think that it needed many 'bells and whistles'.
    One of the posters suggested having an additional page with a submission form, which was my original intent.
    Since the consensus about the splash page is don't do it, I'm going to remove it for now and work on adding the additional page over the weekend.
    Thanks a lot for your feedback. I appreciate honesty.

Best,

Steve

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Well, there is little way to measure bounce rate for PageRank except through Google Analytics, and it would kind of blow if installing their analytics package had the potential to actually hurt your results.

No, the bigger problem with a high bounce rate is that people are less likely to link to your site, thus hurting your PageRank. Plus, a splash page increases the likelihood of a high bounce rate, for the reasons jyuill outlined.
    I'm curious, Shadowfiend. How would adding the google analytics javascript to my source code have the potential to hurt my results?
    It seems like a fairly thorough, comprehensive service. Just curious as to why you would think that.

Thanks,

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads