Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Greetings, this is my first time posting here so any help is greatly appreciated!
    I dont know a whole lot about web design, just enough to get me by i suppose. I am currently using a free web template for my website, and have finally got it formatted to my likings. All is well and looks good in Firefox, but when viewed in IE looks horrible.
    In IE the text section is being rendered at the very bottom of the page, and im not sure what is causing this. The web address of my site is www.hdmusicgroup.com.

Any suggestions on what I can look into to solve this problem? Im currently out of ideas.
    Thanks in advance!

Member #
    You have a couple of validation errors, but I don't think those are causing your problem. It is usually best, however, to make sure pages validate with a validation service like validator.w3.org when trying to create cross-browser sites. Do you have the web developer toolbar for Firefox? It has links for validation under tools, and lots of other very helpful tools.
    I see your problem in IE6, but not IE7. I copied your source and CSS and changed the width of #right to 440px, and it fixes in IE6 and doesn't change the look too much. Anything higher than 440 and IE6 drops it down below the menu like what you are seeing. This could also be changed by adjusting your margins/padding. I left the 450px width and changed the padding-left from 20px to 10px and it also fixed it. Read up on IE bugs, like margin/padding doubling and collapsing, 3px jog, clearing floats. Those are the most common bugs to run into, at least for me.
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Thanks so much for your response! I havent tried fixing and or looking into those values yet, but look forward to having the chance to do so. Thanks again for the info, and directions to look into!

Much Appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by jyuill
    You have a couple of validation errors, but I don't think those are causing your problem. It is usually best, however, to make sure pages validate with a validation service like validator.w3.org when trying to create cross-browser sites. Do you have the web developer toolbar for Firefox? It has links for validation under tools, and lots of other very helpful tools.
    I see your problem in IE6, but not IE7. I copied your source and CSS and changed the width of #right to 440px, and it fixes in IE6 and doesn't change the look too much. Anything higher than 440 and IE6 drops it down below the menu like what you are seeing. This could also be changed by adjusting your margins/padding. I left the 450px width and changed the padding-left from 20px to 10px and it also fixed it. Read up on IE bugs, like margin/padding doubling and collapsing, 3px jog, clearing floats. Those are the most common bugs to run into, at least for me.

Remove Ads