Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm new to the world of web-design. I have a stand-in site up that I made using iweb, until I had time to make a more customized one, which I'm trying to do now. I've had no training, but am trying to teach myself as I go. So far, I think its coming along pretty well; however, one of the many issues I've had on my journey is adding a background image to the site that will resize with the window. Is this something I can do? If so, how should I go about doing it?

I am using Dreamweaver and an XHTML/CSS site.

Thanks guys!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This is really bazaar. This question has come up probably 10 times in the last 2 months!
    Stretching an image is not a good idea as it will distort and/or pixelate. Just colored backgrounds will do better, and usually you would use background-repeat: repeat (x or y or both) in your css. Don't bother trying to stretch an image. Find a pattern or gradient that will repeat seamlessly.

Member #
    There is a NEW VERY NEW standard comming into the design world using the not yet completed HTML5 standards. I havent implemented it yet but it has a tag <canvas> </canvas> and some other code that goes along with it that will allow your browser to draw and image that is proportionate to the window you are using.

Here is an example website using the new tags:
    http://www.rembrandt.co.nz/index.php

Its really pretty cool. I hope to use it soon.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That is sweet. I hope the 20 second load time of that page doesn't have anything to do with the canvas tag. That site is a terrible design btw.

Remove Ads