Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    HI guys!

Been a few weeks, but been busy with school.

I was designing a dummy blog template to practice my html and css skills, and came across two problems that I haven't come across before, and i'ts driving me crazy trying to figure them out.

The first one is where I have set a paragraph to have a font of arial. But the problem is that this is not working! In IE7 it works fine, but in Chrome and FF it just displays the default font. I have tried redoing this and have came up with the same result.
    Just to check, here is what I have done:
    Code:
    p.standard {font-family: arial; color: #000000; font-size: 16px;}

<p class="standard">
    text text text
    </p>
    The problem is with p.standard

But I don't think I've done anything wrong there, and certainly nothing different to what I have done previously, and I've never had this problem before. BTW, all other tags on the page are working fine, I've got other p's and spans etc and they are all working fine.

My second problem was when I ran the markup through the w3c xhtml validation tool. I got 23 errors. I don't mind that if I can fix it, but I haven't been able to fix them.
    Most of them are XML parsing errors, and there are some others. I really don't understand lots of them, and have tried fixing them but they don't work.

Would anyone please be able to spend a little while trying to help me? It's really starting to annoy me.

The URL is: http://diddy29.110mb.com/blog.html
    And for the css: http://diddy29.110mb.com/blogstyle.css

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Don't get too mad at yourself ....

You made a typo (an extra bracket is messing it up) ...

p.heading {font-family: Arial narrow; color: #990000; font-size: 30px; text-align: right; border-bottom: 1px solid #990000;}}

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Something isn't right. In the FF developer toolbar, I can't find that p.standard in the stylesheet. But when I click the html menu, and then view the stylesheet from the head section, I can see it. I would double check to make sure your css is synchronized on the server because I don't think the browser is seeing it either.

Technically, fonts are required to be capitalized, also maybe declare Arial in the body tag so it sets as global, then the other font, Century Gothic, will be applied to the couple of divs you specified.

EDIT>>> Good eye Max! That's why it wasn't being read. FF toolbar doesn't even display it, so I couldn't see that even if I knew it was there!

Member #
    Thanks for that. Can't believe it was something so simple!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Regarding the validation errors, the first thing you need to do is go through and clean out all your curly quotes. Some of your quotation marks have been turned into curly quotations, which are invalid XML. You should be using straight-up regular quotation marks, "". They're straight up and down, and should look the same for both opening and closing quote.

Let us know when you've done that and we can look at the rest of the errors.

Member #
    I have been using "", which is the shift function of the apostrophe on the keyboard. Are these the right ones to be used? If I am understanding you correctly, are you saying that the program I used was turning them into different quotation marks?

If that is the case, it wouldn't surprise me, because I have been using 4 different programs to do this, as I have been working on it at home and school. I have been using Notepad, Frontpage, Visual Web Developer and Expressions Web. I usually use frontpage at home, so it must be visual web developer or expressions web.

I'll fix them and post the result soon.

Thanks shadow!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by diddy
    I have been using Notepad, Frontpage, Visual Web Developer and Expressions Web.

AHHHHHH FrontPage!?!?!? AHHHHHH any WYSIWYG?!?!? Sorry, I really don't like WYSIWYG, seems it is always messing things up, adding unnecessary mark-up & CSS, making more work....Stick with a simple text editor. IMHO, better for learning, anyway. Mind, I've never used any of those things, so should probably keep my mouth shut; my only experience is with Dreamweaver and right now it's just a really expensive text editor for me...I try and use all the tools and just end up typing my CSS anyway. I've read lots of posts here and other places where certain programs change code and cause errors and I recently cleaned up after FrontPage added it's own junk to someone's mark-up, so...
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    More or less what jyuill said. Don't use FrontPage. In general, download Notepad++ or E Text Editor, or something like that, and use that. Don't use Notepad either, it's not a text editor for coding.

It's also a good idea to stick to one program in general, but it's a particularly bad idea to switch between programs that edit the code and programs that do WYSIWYG. That is a recipe for insanity.

Member #
    If you had read my other posts, you would realize that I don/'t know how to work the WYSIWYG section of any program, as I code by hand. I haven't had problems with frontpage before, and its the first time I used Visual Web Developer and Expressions Web. I only used them so I can do it at school, and I think they messed some stuff up.

But I have been looking for something else, so I'll try out those suggestions, shadowfiend.

I'll post up the results of fixing those quotes later today.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Cool. One way to dodge the school blues is to find a nice web app for editing. I personally haven't looked very hard for those, but they are out there (the most impressive examples right now are Atlas for Capuccino, which is just sexy beyond belief, and the Heroku online editor, which is also quite nice; unfortunately, they are each their-framework-centric, and you would need something more general).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads