Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Website Skins

Member #
    I have a webpage I am working on which I want to have a menu on the side which will change the color of the page interface. Currently, I do this by having different pages for the different colors, each which reference different style sheets and images. What is a better way to do this? I would like to be able to have the style sheets load the images, somehow, so that I could just have the page choose what stylesheet to load.

Is there a way I can load a whole new stylesheet when a user clicks a link without reloading the page? What is the best way to have the page choose what images to load?

Basically, I am asking the best way to do website skinning when I use external css files and images. Thanks.

Member #
    JR, a mod here at WDF, did something similar to what you're talking about in the April 2003 contest. Here is a link to the voting thread, click on "Jravenscroft's entry" to download his zip file. IIRC, his website had a button on it that allowed you to change style sheets instantly. It was pretty cool. :ichatcool:

Member #
    Originally posted by splufdaddy
    JR, a mod here at WDF, did something similar to what you're talking about in the April 2003 contest. Here is a link to the voting thread, click on "Jravenscroft's entry" to download his zip file. IIRC, his website had a button on it that allowed you to change style sheets instantly. It was pretty cool. :ichatcool:

Hey, thanks a lot. I think this is basically what I was looking for. If I use this, plus this iinfo on using images with css (http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum83/478.htm) I should be set.

Thanks.

Member #
    No prob. Post us a link to show us when you're done (or not done, either way )

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Make sure you get JR's permission before using his code.

Member #
    Well, I won't be using his code, but I will look to see how he did it so I can write my own code.

I *do* thank the author immensly, however, for the code which I will be able to learn from. (hopefully :-p )

JR
    Member #
    its fine anyway, just glad to help
    JR

Remove Ads