Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everybody!

First of all thanks a lot for all the help you have given me in other occasions.

Could you please give me a hand with this too?

I am building the following website:

www.primaryteachingresources.net

which basically is a website of totally free resources for primary school teachers.

My problem:

In IE7 all the pages look ok but the home page, in which the menu looks much smaller and really weird. Also, when I go to 5º-6º E.P.O page (in the menu) the button for that page is highlighted but also the button for the 1-2º E.P.O page. Why does this happen?

Well, if you have any other suggestions to make the site look and work better I will very gradly hear them.

Thanks a lot,

Iván

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    oh my ...

And with my IE6, it's a disaster on all pages.

The image below is your contact page on a small browser window (IE6.0).

I think that your main problem is the use of absolute positioning in your CSS.
    I'm not sure why people use positioning at all (absolute or relative), but it usually
    causes the most browser compatibility issues, especially with various monitor and
    screen sizes.

I would say you're in a spot where when (or if) you fix one part for your browser,
    another part will fail on a different browser and so on and so on. Then you'll get
    it looking perfect until you start adding content and photos ... then back to square 1.

My advice is to start all over again without any positioning statements.
    Use your <div> floats and nested <div>'s to define various areas of your pages,
    allowing them to grow and size as needed for various lengths of paragraphs.

I know it's not an answer you want to hear, but in my opinion, it's good advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Hi,

Thanks, I knew about the issues with IE6 but should I care? Very few people is using it now and the numbers are dropping day by day.

Please let me know what you think.

Iván

Member #
    BTW, this is what I am seeing with IE8 with your nav bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Thanks a lot. That is looking wrong even in IE8. The home button should be at the very left side. Well, I am going to check it and let´s see what happens.

Thanks a lot,

Ivan

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Soooo much code and css for a basic header, navbar and content area! This could have been done with about 50 lines of code. Max is right, with all the absolute pos it's bound to mess up in different browsers and then changing one thing messes up another. Is it too late to start over?

Member #
    Hi,

Well, yes. Anyway this is a just a college assigment but as I have spent so many hours doing it I would like it to work fine. It really doesn´t mind it doesn´t work 100% now.. I will present it this friday using Firefox and everybody will be happy. After that I will check what I can do to make it better.

Well...you must take into account that until about 6 weeks ago I had never used CSS. This is being a great learning experience..which is what really counts.

Thanks,

Iván

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Ivan ...

Just so you know ...
    We're not getting nit-picky and bothersome ...

You did mention in your first post that you have problems with IE7,
    but the previous post to this, you mention only needing it to work with FF.
    Now that we know the history behind this (a college assignment), we can deal
    with that. But I hope you can see how we are confused about your browser issues?

Simple solution ....

Since you only care about Firefox,
    adjust your absolute positions so it looks perfect for Firefox.
    Don't view it with any other browser, just like you said ... they don't matter.

To make it right (after Friday), scrap it all and start over, as Steve said.

Member #
    Hi,

Please don´t worry. I do like critics. They make me work harder

I am working a bit more in the site and it seems to work fine in IE7 too. Can´t try it in IE8 as my computer doesn´t seem to let me install it.

The site seems to work ok in opera and safari also. Well, it doesn´t look great in Opera but it works.

Should I really bother about IE6? Few people using it and less and less day by day....

As said, I do really appreciate your critics and all the help you have given me.

Regards,

Iván

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I guess my point is really this:
    You should be able to make it look the same in all browsers.
    It shouldn't matter what IE revision is used.
    And you should be able to do it without using any hacks.

Remove Ads