Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok so here is the site I'm working on: http://www.phenomking.com/test As you can see, everything looks fine with the navBar while javascript is turned on. However, once you turn javascript off and refresh the page, my #mainContent DIV seems to shift over to the right, and the #sidebar DIV does not have enough space to stay on the same line so it drops down below. I've been trying to fix this all week and I totally don't understand why this is happening, it must have something to do with my navBar list and the wrapping but I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've included a screenshot of what it looks like without the Javascript turned on. http://www.phenomking.com/test/image...iding_over.png

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I have two points to make ... and it's just my opinion ...

Most (99.8%) don't have Javascripting turned off, and most don't
    even know how to disable JS.

If it's really a concern, use pure CSS for navigation and not JS.

========

Javascripting can add so much more to the browsing experience,
    I'm not really sure why a few people disable it ... maybe to speed-up
    their browsing performance? But for menu and nav bars, using pure
    CSS is a safe way to go.

Member #
    Yeah but even with javascript turned on its also causing a space almost like a padding in the #mainContent div. If I were to apply a border-top you could see that.

Member #
    I looked through the superfish.js file and saw that it was changing a few items from inline to block and vice versa, and also modifying floats to a degree. Because of that, it was possible you didn't clear a block element with all of your floats. My hunch seemed to be correct. Set #mainContent to float:left; and you should be good to go. @mlseim: Many Firefox users (such as those who visit Neowin) enable the NoScript extension. If you're creating an online business as seems to be the case here, discriminating against users without JS or CSS is probably a bad thing. You are correct that 99% of people would have JavaScript enabled though. As for his CSS navigation, it works just fine without JS (the drop-downs).

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    some people turn off javascript because javascript is used to serve ads/popups, resize window sizes, etc.

Some people just dont like this.
    Then again, hotmail and other sites require u to have it turned on, so ya id say 99% do, but if your target demographic isnt in the 1% that may turn it off (web designers, programmers, computer freaks, control freaks =) ) then id say alienate the 1%. Call it a bad decision, but if javascript gives my site that extra flare to attract AND keep visitors, screw the 1%

Member #
    Javascript should be an unobtrusive visual and interface enhancement, it shouldn't be a requirement unless the application you're building is specifically only going to work with JavaScript on (like a non-Java applet based "live" chat). Keep in mind that most search engine's bits do not render JavaScript, so any content rendered exclusively via JS won't get indexed by default.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, i mean for visual effect not rendering.
    Im not saying use javascript and document.write to write your site.

but using jquery and plugins and lightbox/slimbox for visual flare is more important to me than that 1%

Member #
    Thank you guys, the problem has been solved!

Remove Ads