Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Good afternoon one and all

Ok let me just start by saying that I am a relative newbie, not up to date at all and hoping to rectify both these flaws (heehee!) by starting afresh and building myself a brand spanking new and compliant website......hopefully!

The Question:
    In relation to search engine rankings and descriptions and the like I am aware that it is recommended to use meta tags for keywords, description and such like.

With this in mind I was just wondering exactly what tags are best to use, and just how much data/information should be used to make it as SE friendly as possible.

I know that there are many possible tags available, but also understand that many of them are pointless or irrelevant, so as stated I would just like to know what the "Professionals" consider the best way to use meta tags.

Thanks a million in advance! (",)

David

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    You have copied / pasted a post from another site. The links referencing that site have been removed.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Take a look at this post, it outlines basic seo techniques
    Basic SEO Techniques

There is also a section of this forum for seo/marketing.

Quick answer:
    Less important than before, still important.

keywords, description are decently important, they also help with ad generation for google adsense

the robots meta tag with index, follow is important
    <meta name="robots" content="index, follow"/>

This tells crawlers to index that page and follow all links on it (leads to discovery of new pages.

Member #
    Meta tags are important but not as important as in the past. It is necessary to include meta tags and keywords so that when google does index your site, it is able to tell the user what your site is about.

If you did not use meta tags your page would be displayed on google in whatever way google wants to display it, rather than how you want it displayed. These days, meta tags are less important in terms os search engine ranking.
    Ali Hitch

Portfolio & Tutorial Site
    www.alihitch.com

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    not true hitch. IE is moving to a meta tag driven standards mode. in the future because of the way IE is built they will slow down the version releases and update compliance via meta tags.

i actually use a meta to keep my site from flip flopping its mode based on content.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8" />

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Yes the meta tags are very imp for search engines.

Member #
    You'll want to make sure the "description" meta tag contains the appropriate key words and phrases that apply your website - and also "makes sense."

Google will USUALLY use this content to populate the short description with search results. However, Google can also pull the description from DMOZ so you want to make sure you're listed there as well.

Remove Ads