Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello all,

I am doing the coding for a web design that is VERY image heavy. The entire layout is basically images that will be laid out using div positioning. I'm worried that the site will take too long to load, or really, that it would load in chunks. Is there anyway to preload the site with like a flash preloader? I don't want the site to be in flash... just a preloader that will load all the images in the site, and then show.

Anyone heard or seen anything like this?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You can do a preload with javascript...however, are the images really that heavy? Is there anyway to do the layout without all those images? Can the images be compressed enough to speed up the load time? Id say 0-5 seconds is a acceptable load time

Member #
    It is very image heavy... I don't think that's negotiable. Like I said, I didn't design it. To see something similar (the designer said this layout inspired the site) go here (http://www.agentprovocateur.com/knickersforever.html). Before you click, it IS a lingerie website... so, if you are at work or something... maybe another time. There's no nudity, but it could be considered "risque." You'll notice it's a horizontal layout. I've never done something like this before, but it's definitely doable.

Would the javascript preloader be a blank page that had a loading bar or something? Any examples? How to do?

Thanks!!!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Having done sites for clients before, I know what you mean about having
    to do it THEIR way. This sort of sucks because horizontal scrolling is a bad thing.

I visited the knicker site and didn't even realize it was horizontal, until I read your
    post again ... that's the problem. Users won't realize it either. People are not used to
    horizontal scrolling.

Try to talk the designer out of doing that ... maybe have them watch people go to
    their site and see if they can figure out the horizontal scrolling (on their own).
    I'll bet they don't even notice it ... and the client will end up losing customers.

Even with my DSL, that knicker site was slow to load.
    I would have given up waiting if I didn't know it was going to be long, ahead of time.

You do what the clients wants, but at least voice your concern and put it in writing so
    the issue won't backfire on you. They might hold you responsible for the slow load.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    Having done sites for clients before, I know what you mean about having
    to do it THEIR way. This sort of sucks because horizontal scrolling is a bad thing.

I visited the knicker site and didn't even realize it was horizontal, until I read your
    post again ... that's the problem. Users won't realize it either. People are not used to
    horizontal scrolling.

Try to talk the designer out of doing that ... maybe have them watch people go to
    their site and see if they can figure out the horizontal scrolling (on their own).
    I'll bet they don't even notice it ... and the client will end up losing customers.

Even with my DSL, that knicker site was slow to load.
    I would have given up waiting if I didn't know it was going to be long, ahead of time.

You do what the clients wants, but at least voice your concern and put it in writing so
    the issue won't backfire on you. They might hold you responsible for the slow load.
    I understand. I was thinking about incorporating some sort of flashing graphic that informed the user in a fun way that you scrolled to the side on that site... We'll see.

I know what you mean about the load time, that was my concern. So, do you know of any preloader that would fit what I'm looking for. I did tell them that loading times is a concern of mine... they didn't seem worried about it. I'll make sure they understand that again though.

I think I've actually read somewhere that scrolling left to right was more natural and easier for the brain to comprehend... but again, people aren't used to it and will probably not know unless they are told so.

Thanks for the feedback my friend.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    reading left to right is a natural way.
    Scrolling right to read isnt.

As a user, think about it, when is the last time u remember scrolling horizontally on a website to read content?.

Member #
    As I've said already, I agree about scrolling left to right...
    Anyway - back to the question at hand. Preloader?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    on a cable to wifi, wasnt to bad on the time. you could always put some sort of contrasting graphic on the bottom to bottom left as to draw attention to the scroll bar.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Thanks guys...

But again, Preloader is the issue here.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i dont know much javascript but i found this for you.
    http://elouai.com/javascript-preload-images.php

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads