Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    linking to .css asp style question

what it is all... here's the deal, i'm learning asp to do a site redesign... here's my first roadblock:

in my homepage im trying to reference a style sheet using this method

<!--#INCLUDE FILE="styleone.asp"-->

Now styleone.asp is in the root of the website, as is home.asp. Everything works fine when I look at the page locally, but when i put the home page and style sheet in the proper places on my server i get no text formatting, which is the sole purpose of the stylesheet at this time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nick Anderson

Member #
    Have you made sure that SSI (Server Side Includes) is enabled on your server? Without them, <!--#INCLUDE FILE="file"--> will not work. If you "View Source" on the page, can you see the include line in the HTML?

Also, you can (and probably should) use the old <link> way to use CSS, even with ASP.

Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="mystyle.css">
    That should work just as well.

Member #
    thanks for the tips... the include line does show up in the html when i view source aaaaand i tried using the <link rel...> line... nothing changes.

Im not sure if ssi is installed and will ask the operator of the server... update forthcoming.

nick anderson

Member #
    You will most likely need to make sure that the extension is .CSS rather than .ASP; the fact that the parsing of ASP files takes place on the server side rather than the client side may complicate the process.

Remove Ads