Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello

Im fairly new to web design, well CSS anyway. :cry:

Basically ive made a site, that uses a main div called container to center a flash movie and a simple footer.

Basically, the div "container" is coloured black, and is 1000px wide, and centered in the browser. This all works fine up until this point.

However, is there a way to make the div "container" match the height of the browser window, to then hence make the black section the height of the whole window.

Also, within this how to i make my footer sit on the bottom of the browser window, i can only seem to do it if i take the footer out of the container div and then set the position:absolute, bottom:0px, but then it does not align center with the rest of my content.

you can view the page here:

http://www.webdimension.com.au/sun/

any help would be most appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    I'm pretty sure that goes beyond CSS's realm of influence. Luckily JS's HTML DOM functions provide a nice little bridge for that. You're going to need to call a custom function from both the head section and the window.onresize event and then in that function you'll need to get the window.outerHeight property and store it in a var. Then (NOW you can use CSS! :-)) you'll want to set the value of this like so:
    document.getElementById("containerdivID").style.he ight = (myVar-140) + "px";
    That 140 is just my eyeball estimate for the status bar at the bottom and the address & toolbars at the top - the sucky part is that you're going to have to figure out an average - it will probably need some tweaking but hopefully that helps you out.
    Utah Web Design { Pimpin(it); } - ENJOY yo-self

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Breezy,

What is all that text on your website for? Just curious.

Member #
    basically it's there to enrich the search value of the pages. of course you can see that the information itself is somewhat interesting/useful, but it also provides keyword rich content on my pages that are composed mostly of flash elements (search engines cannot access text inside flash player) The bottom of the main page also provides me my space for link exchanges, like the ones I need to get into directories. :-)

Member #
    just saw your website, so apparently you know plenty about SEO, sooooooo why'd ya ask?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That's what I figured. With the major drawback of seo and flash, I guess I don't understand why some designers go all flash for a website. That large chunk of text really takes away from an otherwise fantastic looking site. I don't mean anything by it and you're very knowledgeable, I just like to hear the thoughts on your design, that's all.

Member #
    Oh yeah no prob. And I agree I wish there were a better way to do it... seems like search engines almost force us to sacrifice real relevance on the altar of 'SEO'. I would totally wrap all that in a div that was 0px high, except I hear you can get banned for that sort of thing. :-(
    The flash addiction is also pretty hard to break once you have it... It just makes for such a fast track to prospective client ooohs and aaaaaaahs, ya know? ;-)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can use position: fixed but you won't get any support in IE6.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads