Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    (If this is in the wrong place feel free to move)

Hi,

I'll start by saying I personally don't know a lot of coding. Someone designed and built my website some three years ago, and from his template i created the rest of my site using Dreamweaver in design view and my limited HTML/PHP knowledge. Now i'll be honest, I didn't really take a lot of care other than to open what i'd created in IE and FF and check it looked as it should.

However now I thought i'd check out just how bad it is, and it doesn't look good. It seems the person who created the bare site didn't even give it a doctype, and there are many errors on just the homepage according to the validator.

The website in question - www.foofighterslive.com

So my question is, will that be somewhat fixable, or now i've created literally hundreds upon hundreds of pages am I just going to have to carry with my 'it looks ok' theory. I'd really like to get out of that habit if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help you may offer.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilmore
    (If this is in the wrong place feel free to move)

Hi,

I'll start by saying I personally don't know a lot of coding. Someone designed and built my website some three years ago, and from his template i created the rest of my site using Dreamweaver in design view and my limited HTML/PHP knowledge. Now i'll be honest, I didn't really take a lot of care other than to open what i'd created in IE and FF and check it looked as it should.

However now I thought i'd check out just how bad it is, and it doesn't look good. It seems the person who created the bare site didn't even give it a doctype, and there are many errors on just the homepage according to the validator.

The website in question - www.foofighterslive.com

So my question is, will that be somewhat fixable, or now i've created literally hundreds upon hundreds of pages am I just going to have to carry with my 'it looks ok' theory. I'd really like to get out of that habit if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help you may offer.
    Well if it has been up for three years and haven't had any issues you could follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" principle. If you do change it back it up first in case you mess it up trying to fix it. The main thing that bothers me is that there is no opening or closing <html> tag and no closing </body> tag.

The number of errors has much to do with the doctype you use. HTML transitional might be the easiest one for you to use.
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Meta tags are self closing with this doctype so you would need to remove the forward slash just before the end of the tag <meta whatever="" />

Many of your errors are caused by a missing alt tag. The alt tag specifies text to show if an image doesn't load. If it is an image like a spacer that doesn't need describing just say alt=""

Also leftmargin and topmargin on the body tag should be css as style="margin-left: 0; margin-top: 0;" (it would be better to put the css in your css file though). If you add the <html> tag in there you may need to set them for it too.

Member #
    Thanks, I might have a start on that soon.

One other thing, up until a couple of weeks ago i only used a 15" 1024x768 4:3 monitor and the site looked fine on that, but many people of course had larger, wider and higher resolution monitors and complained of a lot of "dead space". Now i also have a better monitor with 1440x900 widescreen resolution and i see the problem, the website is all scrunched in the left hand side, and tons of dead space on the right.

Is there a fairly easy, fairly quick way to optimise the site better for larger displays/resolutions, or now that i have so many pages would it really take a complete redesign and rebuild?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilmore
    Thanks, I might have a start on that soon.

One other thing, up until a couple of weeks ago i only used a 15" 1024x768 4:3 monitor and the site looked fine on that, but many people of course had larger, wider and higher resolution monitors and complained of a lot of "dead space". Now i also have a better monitor with 1440x900 widescreen resolution and i see the problem, the website is all scrunched in the left hand side, and tons of dead space on the right.

Is there a fairly easy, fairly quick way to optimise the site better for larger displays/resolutions, or now that i have so many pages would it really take a complete redesign and rebuild?
    I have a 24inch widescreen myself. It was the first thing I noticed when going to your site. It would look alot better if it was centered rather than on the left-most border.

Member #
    Hi Skilmore,

A quick fix for you would be to add this:

#1 - First add this CSS just above the "style9" tag put this:
    HTML Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    <!--
    /* Fix for IE */
    body {
      text-align: center;
     }

#container {
         margin: 0 auto;
      width: 760px;
      text-align: left;
     } 

.style9 {
        color: #FFCC99;
    font-weight: bold;
    }
    .style10 {font-size: 13px; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;}
    -->
    </style>

#2 - Then between your body and first table tag, place a div between them that has has an id of "container"

HTML Code:
    <body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" bgcolor="#3F1902">
    <div id="container">
    <table width="790" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
    #3 - Make the very last tag a closing div, after the final table tag:
    HTML Code:
    </table>
     </div>
    Also make sure there is a closing </body> and </html> tag after the div tag you just added.

Hope this helps.

Ungus
    Josh

Member #
    Thanks, I have already been looking at similar solutions. However the main problem i see with those quick options is the ammount of pages i have. As you can see from the content of the website, i have an individual page for each show the band have played, so without being at home to check, i'd estimate to have atleast 750 pages.
    I'm assuming there is no 'quick' way to complete this, other than manually editing every single page?
    Ideally i'd like to make my site database driven, with all the information about the shows in one database, and then one single page that dynamically produces that info, but without the coding knowledge or money to pay for someone to do it, i'm stuck with hundreds and hundreds of pages.

Member #
    Hi Skilmore,

I understand your predicament. I may have a "quick" solution for you, since it looks like the stylesheet "ffl-styles.css" is included in all the pages. If it is, we can at least get it centered in one edit and save your sanity and fingers.

But I won't leave you hanging with just a quick fix. I assume you want to focus on your content/site, I take it not become a developer instead. No worries, this isn't leading into me offering pay services. I'm only here to help.

As for a long term solution, a CMS (content management system) would probably be the best solution. I see the site uses PHP, for instance the "Live Guide", is that something you installed and update, or did yourself? What kind of options do you have with your hosting provider? Can you have a MySQL database? Is it hosted on Windows or Linux/Unix server? Do they have a fairly decent "control panel" for administrating the server? (they may have one called cPanel, but it varies....)

You have a lot of options, there is no reason to be dropping huge amounts of money into something that could possibly be a bit of work for someone experienced in this. Then you save time and not always be dealing with the technical aspects.

Ungus
    Josh

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ungus
    Hi Skilmore,

I understand your predicament. I may have a "quick" solution for you, since it looks like the stylesheet "ffl-styles.css" is included in all the pages. If it is, we can at least get it centered in one edit and save your sanity and fingers.

But I won't leave you hanging with just a quick fix. I assume you want to focus on your content/site, I take it not become a developer instead. No worries, this isn't leading into me offering pay services. I'm only here to help.

As for a long term solution, a CMS (content management system) would probably be the best solution. I see the site uses PHP, for instance the "Live Guide", is that something you installed and update, or did yourself? What kind of options do you have with your hosting provider? Can you have a MySQL database? Is it hosted on Windows or Linux/Unix server? Do they have a fairly decent "control panel" for administrating the server? (they may have one called cPanel, but it varies....)

You have a lot of options, there is no reason to be dropping huge amounts of money into something that could possibly be a bit of work for someone experienced in this. Then you save time and not always be dealing with the technical aspects.

Ungus
    Every page does use the one css sheet, yes, so if there is a quick fix for that now it'd be a start. The person who designed my page simply created one page as a template for me to work from, and I then individually created each page under the live guide with dreamweaver. Therefore I do have to edit each individual page to update. I have a few PHP includes, but apart from that everything is manual.

Yes we're Linux hosted, we have a proper cPanel, and yes we can have MySQL databases. If i had the time i'd sit down and further learn how to do it myself, but that simply isn't an option right now.

To be honest i think we made many mistakes right at the start. We wanted to get the website built as quickly as possible, so never thought about anything like databases, and simply worked and worked at building the site manually with a simple design, but now it is becoming like a chore to keep updating. Also the design itself is looking pretty tired, but I wouldn't know where to start building a new site, with a new design and new backend. Again ideally i'd just pay someone to do it for me, but knowing how much work of this magnitute would cost, once again that is out of the question.

Thanks for the help so far.

Member #
    Sorry to double post/bump, but any help with atleast that quick fix for centerting the whole site quickly?

Thanks.

Member #
    Anyone that might be able to help with the page centering?

Thanks.

Remove Ads