Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm still pretty new at the web coding game. I'm about to post a fairly simple web site that I built with XHTML and CSS using an elastic layout. Things look good throughout most browsers, however I'm noticing that in older versions of IE (pre-7) lines of text are either omitted or cut in half (see attachments). I'm not that great at conditional comments, however if anyone has any suggestions on what may be causing this, I'd greatly appreciate it...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Give us the real link to the site, not pictures.

Member #
    sorry - thought an image would be enough... figured it would be a fairly common problem.

http://www.barroscompanies.com.php5-...com/index.html

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    What the hell is with that URL?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Seriously? I mentioned that I'm new to this, if someone is having issues with whatever I'm asking, it would really help if they could be specific and nicely explain themselves as opposed to what has been written so far. I've used that URL on multiple browsers and have not had any problem getting to my pages. So just asking 'What the hell..?' is not very productive to me...

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Your problem comes from a bug with IE.

It occurs when you scroll-up the screen using the vertical scroll bar,
    release your mouse and scroll it back down. That space occurs where the
    div section was at the top of the browser. Try it with your old browser and see.

So, how to fix it? That I'm not sure in your case. Usually, it shows its ugliness
    when you have a scrolling div within a div.

First, make the problem occur every time by scrolling your IE6 browser, and
    make sure you can make it happen ....

Then change this:

#content{
    /* Left margin must match leftcolumn width */
    margin-left:12em;
    background-color:#fff;
    color:#000;
    padding:3em 10px 10px 20px;
    }

To this:

#content{
    /* Left margin must match leftcolumn width */
    margin-left:12em;
    background-color:#fff;
    padding:5px 10px 10px 20px;
    }

And try it again.

I'm just stabbing in the dark on this one, but I'm sure it's related to that IE bug.
    Search Google for more: IE vertical scroll leaves blank lines

Member #
    Thank you so much for taking the time to give me a suggestion. I'll definitely give it a try...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    what he meant by what the hell is with that url is that your url is HORRIBLE.
    a customer does not want to go to http://www.barroscompanies.com.php5-...enerators.html

how about barroscompanies.com ..which i just checked and is under dev, so it looks like thats ur dev url or something but thats still really odd.

make a 'dev' folder in the root and ur url would be www.barroscompanies.com/dev , he jus was sayin the url is really odd which it is... .php5-7.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com <<wow, how do you even remember that for development :S lol

Member #
    Okay, I can understand that it may look funny if that were the url I was planning on using permanently. My client has a company he has me send the web files to - and this company posted the files, temporarily, to this address. When I give them the okay - they will then post it to www.barroscompanies.com

However, the question has nothing to do with my url, its just about the text issue. That's it. I didn't ask about the url, so I didn't expect a posting ignoring my question, and commenting on the url.

I can appreciate you taking the time to explain what you think the poster was talking about, however, I really just want to solve this issue, and I'd love it if I could just get reponses pertaining to my question...

Thank you...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    well theres no need to get angry at the "what the hell is with that url" , he was just having a laugh at a ridiculous URL.
    looking at your css i think thi sis the problem
    #content h4{
    font-size:1.2em;
    padding-top:1em;
    line-height:.5em;
    }
    try adjust your line height , or getting rid of it completely (i barely ever use line height. Usually your h4 wlil be short use margin-bottom to simulate line height. I usually work in fixed layouts not elastic so I dont really know the behavior of em. But id say try adjusting your line height
    on a side note, there is such a thing as too much commenting looking through your css
    /* Applies to all lists in the content division */
    #content ul, #content ol

comments like that are so redundant and theyre ALL throughout your css. Comments are good, but use them when necessary,

//styles h1
    h1{}
    //styles h2
    h2{}

Just being a devils advocate, dont get angry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads