Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi. Instead of using frames or iframes I would like to use DIVs. I am new to CSS but I know it's much better. I would like to have my logo and menu in one div (at the top) and then my main content in a div (at the bottom under the menu div). I want to be able to click on my menu and pull another page or content into the main div at the bottom. Basically, I want to make divs work the same as a frame or iframe but I want my whole page to be able to scroll up and down with some fixed pics in the background. How do I do this (the divs not the fixed background...I think I've gotten that)? Remember, I am new to css so go easy. If it would be better for me to use iframes I can do that fine. But I know that the functionality is not a great and they can sometimes cause problems. Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Val

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    <div>'s can be size to anything, and if the content overflows,
    you can add scrolling bars.

overflow: auto;

But their is a difference between <iframe> and <div> ...
    iframes can be targetted and populated with other web pages or scripts.
    And the refresh/update happens only to the iframe, not the whole page.

So, when you say you would rather use <div>, I guess it's important to know
    if you have some other PHP script running that changes the photos.
    And ... how concerned you are about whole pages that refresh on the browser.

Alternatively, there is AJAX, which is a combination of Javascripting and PHP.
    That allows <div> sections to act like <iframe>, in regards to the refresh issue.
    AJAX is a bit more complex to learn.

It all comes down to user interaction, page refresh likes or dislikes, and other
    things happening on your page that require interaction.

So this is a tough one to answer. Some argue that <iframe> is a bad idea and
    is old fashioned, and shouldn't be used. If it works, and it's so easy to use,
    why not use it? If it becomes deprecated, find a different method.

If I'm really stuck on a CSS layout issue that takes too much time, I sometimes
    insert a <table> into a section because the layout is easy and it works.
    Tsk, Tsk ... I shouldn't use tables for layouts. I don't really care.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    yeah youtube no longer supports ie6 but still uses iframes. also when you use divs, it gives a scroll at top and bottom. css3 gives x y control over that but ie8 doesn't support it just yet. you could use a dynamic page utilising the page scroll with a fixed header and/or bg and if you crreate clean code it loads fast enough to give the illusion that only the content refreshed. or as ML pointed out use javascript/ajax but that will not get indexed by search engines and will effect your seo. pure php will not interfere with indexing however. don't discount the old just to adopt the new, enjoy that you have both to work with.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think what you are after is a fairly std page layout with 'header' 'menu' and 'content'. But if the 'header' and 'menu' stay the same and just the 'content' changes then why not just create a new page for each. Once the images are downloaded they will appear quickly on subsequent pages.

I am assuming that we are not talking about loads of pages here.

If you make separate pages it is better for SEO you can personalise each page title, description and keywords.

Of course you can do this with a simple php cms system but these would still end up looking like unique pages to the search engines.

I hope this helps

Rich

Remove Ads